Part 7

Chance

Chance's insides completely melt with her words. He has been in agony for the past month, desperately longing to hear her speak them, and to have them be true. And there is no doubt in his mind of Cosset's sincerity. He knows her well enough to know she would never lie to him. She doesn't have a pretentious bone in her body. Trusting in someone again enough to give her whole heart is new to her. In fact, everything about this is completely out of her comfort zone and he empathizes.

But Chance knows there is nothing Cosset can't overcome. This is a new life for them both, and he is determined to love her through it and whatever comes, both the good and the bad. She is meant to be his. For the longest time, he wondered if he would ever be able to truly love a woman, to give himself completely. His question had been answered the moment he caught a glimpse of Cosset sitting on the shelter bench, her long, dark curls cascading from under a red baseball cap, and the sun adding a shimmer to her light brown skin. It was as if everything in his life suddenly made sense, like he finally had a purpose for existing. Sure, some would call him crazy, but Chance knows different. His mind has never been so clear.

Pressing his lips to her ear, he whispers, "I have something to ask you and I don't want to frighten you away." He draws back a little, meeting her gaze. "Will you marry me, Cosset? Will you take my name and share my life? I promise I will do everything in my power to never hurt you. Will you be my wife and trust in that?"

He watches the growing smile spread across her beautiful face, her eyes filling with tears. Her warm hand caresses his face and she give him her answer.

"Yes."

His mouth meets hers again and his world shifts as everything in his life falls into place.

iii

The following morning, we go shopping for rings, a white dress and other things we will need for a quick intimate wedding. We plan to exchange our vows next week beneath the white gazebo in the back yard. Other than the preacher and his wife, it will be just be the two of us. I've frequently pondered how sad it is that neither of us have family to invite, then I remind myself that Chance is my family now, and I am his. Nothing else matters.

We stop by a diner to grab a quick lunch. Sitting across from each other in a cozy booth, Chance takes my hands in his, gifting me with the heart-palpitating smile I have come to know so well. There are moments that I still wonder how I've garnered his love and what I have done to warrant such a blessing. But I continually remind myself not to question, and to just accept and be grateful. No amount of gratitude will ever be enough. From now until forever, I will be thanking God for this amazing man, and for his unconditional love.

He gently squeezes my hands. "I love you."

"And I love you." The words that should seem foreign to me are spoken to one another with ease. Our mutual smiles are loving. His full mouth curves up, hypnotizing me, making me long to be alone with him and resume the passionate affection that has unwaveringly generated so much heat between us since yesterday.

"I think you are reading my mind," I say and he nods.

"Oh, yeah."

A sexy arch of his brow has me suddenly using my menu as a fan. "Where is our server?" I mumble and he laughs.

"Patience, my love. Patience."

"I can do patience," I reply, giving him a siren look of my own. He quickly picks up his menu and I laugh, then I open mine and try to decide what I would like.

Hearing the ding of the bell on the door, I glance up and freeze, unable to believe what I am seeing. Entering the bar is the last person I ever expected to see again.

"Dave."