Back on the horse

"Don't thank me. It's the truth. God... I really don't wanna keep pressuring you with this."

Laura shook her head. "No, no. That's fine. I need everything on the film, so let's keep going shall we?"

Colbie nodded and went back to her seat. "Okay, so you found out the doctors were right. You couldn't compete. Then what?"

"Knowing I couldn't race, I couldn't get on a bike, losing all my sponsors and knowing I had lost a film deal because I was at the 'ospital, it all contributed towards my depression. And my depression contributed towards my alcoholism. Yes, I know I have a drinking problem, Colbie. Everything I did was drink, go to parties and drink more. So people stopped writing about the things I did right and started writing about all the horrible things I was doin'."

"And that's when you insulted the Queen, flipped off three different presidents, and got multiple drunk-driving."

"Drunk driving, possession and just being stupid in general. And punched Richard Stalton on the nose while we were at the same bar in Miami."

"What did he do that made you so angry?"

"I don't remember, I was drunk and stoned out of my arse. I also 'assaulted' a pap who took my brother's picture."

"When you say assault it sounds worse than it was. You just grabbed his camera and broke it."

"Yeah, but that's what they sued me for. Pretty much everyone sued me. Everyone wanted a piece of the disgraced athlete/actress/pet. My parents got divorced and that only made things worse. After a couple years of being a good for nothing scum, I had to take care of my brother, but it looked like he was the one taking care of me.

"I felt horrible for taking him away from my parents to give him a better life, only to end up giving him exactly the same he'd gone through his whole life. So I got my shit together and moved back to Manchester. At least I can be a good for nothing here and no one cares. As long as two idiots don't try to make money by making a fuss about how much of a prick I am, I'm fine here."

"Laura? Where's your mum?"

"She doesn't live far. About an hour drive. The divorce was ugly, neither Lock nor I testified so they involved every friend they had but in the end, mum won the house, the stocks, and a couple of other things they had bought... with my money."

"Wait, what?"

Laura smiled sadly. "Yeah. My mother had protected her inheritance, but what wasn't protected was the things they had purchased when I became famous, with my money. They were fighting for me dosh. My dad got the car and two hundred thousand pounds. He spent it all within a year. So that's that. That's my story. Warts and all. Now what?"

Colbie sighed. "Now I write the script, pass it on to Dunlop, he makes some changes for story-telling and adaptation purposes, we consult you on them, rewrite the script and get filming."

"Great. So... when will I see you again?"

Colbie flushed, she hadn't really thought about the fact that their time together had come to an end. There was no reason they couldn't see each other again, right? "Well, I― I can bring you the first draft if you want."

"When?"

"When will I finish it? I don't know, it should take me about a week or so. I can phone you."

Laura smiled and said, "That would be nice."

Colbie smiled back. "What are you gonna do now?"

"Same thing I did before you showed up. Waste time, spend money, eat a lot of crap and stay in bed all day long."