Family

I woke up slowly and looked around the bedroom. Tom wasn't there. I looked at the time. 2pm. I had overslept. And I had needed it. I could feel his smell as if he was still lying next to me. I inhaled deeply before I decided to get up. I walked back to my bedroom and washed my face in the bathroom. Then I put some comfortable clothes on and walked downstairs.

I smelled food from the kitchen. Was he cooking? Tom never cooked, he always ordered food. I walked into the kitchen and saw him walking around and setting the table.

– Oh, you're here. – he stopped everything he was doing once he noticed me standing there.

– You're cooking. – I raised an eyebrow.

– Uh- – he looked around. – Yeah. – he turned to face the stove again. I sat down on a chair as I watched him.

– Do you need any help?

– No, I'm just fine. – he answered. Did he really have any idea of what he was doing?

After ten minutes he finally put the plates on the table. I widened my eyes. It actually looked appetizing. I grabbed my fork and took a bite before glancing at him. He was staring at me expectant.

– This is better than your brother's. What the hell? – I frowned. I wasn't even lying. It tasted delicious.

– Good. – he smiled slightly.

– I've never seen you cooking.

– I know how to cook. I just don't like cooking. – he explained.

– Can you cook every day from now on? – I asked.

– You wish. – he giggled and started eating as well. – I forgot to tell you something. – he said and I looked at him.

What?

– My parents and the G's are coming over from Germany for a few days.

– The G's? – I asked confused.

– Georg and Gustav. They want to visit Bill at the hospital. – he explained.

– Oh, okay. What do I have to do with that though? 

– Well, the G's can sleep in Bill's room and-

– Your parents need the guest room where I'm staying. – I deduced.

– Exactly. – he wrinkled his nose.

– It's okay. I can sleep on the couch.

– No way. I'll sleep on the couch. You can stay in my room. – he offered.

– I'm the guest here.

– Exactly, that's why you should be able to sleep comfortably.

– You won't be able to sleep in the couch. – I argued.

– I will. Don't get started with me. You know you won't win. – he said and I sighed.

– Fine. – I said blandly. – When do they get here? 

– They'll land soon. I have to pick them up at the airport. And then we're going to the hospital to see Bill. – he said and I nodded.

***

I stayed at home during the whole afternoon waiting for Tom to get back home. I was stressing out about what all of them would think of me. After all, I shouldn't even be living in the twins' house. I sighed at the thought when suddenly I heard Tom's car pull up. I widened my eyes and quickly got up from the couch.