A Warm Welcome

~Welcome anything that comes to you, but do not long for anything else~

-Andre Gide

The next day Major Davis came and picked Katelyn up in a black, government-plated sedan. The car took them to a giant hangar holding a private jet.

Once on the jet, Katelyn was offered many things, such as food, beverages, and pillows. Katelyn declined everything, but a dry martini. She needed something to ease her nerves though she felt a little bad since it was so early in the day.

"We are very pleased you chose to take the position. In my opinion, anyone who would decline an opportunity like this is a great fool," Major Davis said. Katelyn smiled.

"I understand what you mean. This is an extraordinary opportunity for me and I'm glad I was considered."

Soon they arrived at Cheyenne Mountain, under which the SGC operated. Katelyn's nerves felt as if they were live wires. She was uncharacteristically giddy.

Once inside Cheyenne Mountain, however, she felt calmer somehow. An Airman escorted them down to level twenty-eight, where all the magic happened.

"I hope you're ready for this," Major Davis said smiling as the elevator doors opened.

Katelyn walked out behind Major Davis into a hallway made of concrete. This does look top-secret, Katelyn thought as she looked around.

As they walked down the hall toward the conference room, several cameras turned their way watching everything they did. When they reached a short staircase, Katelyn caught a glimpse of what looked like a control room. She was brought to a room near it with a large table, many chairs, and a giant window looking down on the Stargate.

"Welcome to the SGC, Dr. Warner. I'm General Hammond. I command this facility," a man's voice said.

"Thank you, General Hammond. I'm very happy to be here."

General Hammond was a tall man with an older man's gut. He was dressed in his Air Force blues and he was bald. He had a kind face and a Texas accent. He had blue eyes that looked as though they had seen a lot of unnecessary things, as was common with the military. Her father had had the same look.

At that moment, four people came walking into the room wearing blue pants with military boots over the ends. They wore black shirts and a blue jacket over the shirt. The first one in was a tall man about six-one, with graying hair and brown eyes.

"I'm just saying I think it would be cool to be invisible. I think it would give us a great tactical advantage against the Goa'uld."

The next one in was a woman with short blonde hair, about five-nine. She had blue eyes and a smile on her face.

"You can't be invisible, Sir," she said matter-of-factly. A younger man about six foot with dark hair and blue eyes behind glasses came in next.

"How would you be able to live off base if you were invisible, Jack? Ask Teal'c, living on base sucks," the younger man started laughing.

Next, a big, black man standing at about six three came in. His arms were as huge as was he. He had a gold tattoo on the middle of his forehead. He wasn't wearing a jacket like the others.

"Indeed," he said in a deep, uninterested voice as he walked through the door. The four of them ended their conversation and the woman and the graying haired man stood at attention.

"Morning, Sir," the man said to General Hammond.

"Good morning, Colonel."

Katelyn stayed at Major Davis's side looking at the four people she figured was SG-1.