Two-Bit's Many Jobs

The Many Jobs Two-Bit Only Can Master

XXX

1. Sentry

"If you're gonna leave just do it already," an 11-year-old Two-Bit told his father. He held an arm out and his older sister Karen ran to him, shielding her face against his side. Two-Bit thought it's one of the most serious days in his life and he hated it.

"Oh no, Keith, don't say that," his Ma cried cradling a little crying Kendra, as Edward Mathews stuffed his remaining few belongings in a shoddy suitcase. Not that their father really needed the suitcase; he'd been coming and going for so long it didn't matter. The suitcase's just for show. A final goodbye.

Edward gave Keith a long look before turning to his wife. "I'll call you." Then he walked out the door, leaving his family to watch it slam.

"Now, why'd you have to go and say that?" Ma asked, her face tired, arms propped against her side.

"I didn't make him leave," Two-Bit said. "And neither did you."

XXX

2. Sports Commentator

Soda and Steve were wrestling in the front yard. "And they're off," Two-Bit began. "White Lightning gets Greaser McGoo in an arm lock---"

"Two-Bit!" Steve barked. "Why'd I get that shitty ass name?" Soda laughed and then resumed his fighting skills. Sneakers marred the front lawn, green grass getting ripped to shreds.

"Because you're shitty," Two-Bit replied and then was off again. "But wait! Greaser McGoo escapes the arm lock and shoves---shoves? Really Steve?---White Lightning to the ground." Two-Bit screeched as Steve knocked Soda off his feet. Then Soda toppled Steve.

"And McGoo's down in the mud like the filth that he is!"

Steve uttered another curse. Two-Bit glanced at the house as Ponyboy walked down the porch steps, holding a cup of water. Pony stood next to Two-Bit watching the fight with large green eyes.

"You want in on this fight?"

Pony grinned and tossed his cup full of water on top of Steve. "And the fight's been stopped!" Two-Bit screamed. "By the Kid---a glass of ice water to clean the greaser off."

Steve writhed, a string of curses flying past his lips. Sodapop, dying of laughter, rolled around on his back holding his stomach.

15-year old Darry bounded out of the house, looking angry. "Knock it off with the cursing," he told them all. "Mom's gonna throw a fit." To make his point, he nudged the youngest. "Inside, Ponyboy."

"And here he is," Two-Bit interjected. "Darry Curtis, better known as Superman, ready to knock someone's block off." The nickname came easily, Two-Bit unaware that it would stick for the rest of Darry's life.

Darry rolled his eyes. "It's gonna be yours if you don't shut up."

As Darry walked back inside, Ponyboy in tow, Soda sat up and cocked his head. "Superman, huh?"

XXX

3. Travel Planner

Two-Bit listened to Johnny explain his recent black eye. The boy's legs bouncing a mile a minute, his long fingers intertwined.

"So you ran into a door, Johnnycake?" Two-Bit mused. "Don't think I've heard that one before." Johnny sighed and Two-Bit patted his leg.

"You can crash at my place. Only payment is eatin' my Ma's cookin' which is a sacrifice in and of its self."