Chapter Two

Elisabet had gotten herself a shiny, silvery gown to wear to the Mikaelson ball. She had considered gold, but then thought that perhaps gold would be too big of a statement. She dressed and fixed herself up carefully; unlike Mikael had, she cared about looking good while being up to no good. 

 "Must you spend so much time getting dressed in the morning?" Mikael asked her once.

 "Not just getting dressed," she answered, "Making sure I look my best." 

~~~~~~

 The ball was already beginning when Elisabet arrived. She slipped in and blended straight into the crowd. She spotted the Salvatore brothers nearby, but decided not to go talk to them. She didn't want to draw too much attention to herself yet.

 She smiled to herself when she spotted her cousin Elijah standing alone near the edge of the room. He usually looked perfectly at ease at parties, but this evening Elisabet thought he looked more distracted. She quietly slunk over and said in his ear, "Penny for your thoughts?" 

 Elijah turned his head around to look at her, and she could see the surprise on his face.

 "Elisabet!" he cried. "When-"

 "Shh!" She cupped her hand over his mouth. "Be a little more quiet, please. I am trying to be a little more stealthy here, you know." She smiled. "Now, where's my hug, little cousin?" She took her hand off of his mouth and wrapped her arms around him. "So nice to see you, Elijah."

 "You, too," Elijah said, awkwardly hugging her back. "When did you get to Mystic Falls?"

 "Just today. I was...travelling with your father. I heard of his death when I came looking for him."

 "Oh, Lise." Elijah's smile disappeared. "I'm sorry you had to find out like that. I know you must be angry with Niklaus, but please understand-"

 "You don't need to explain anything to me," she cut in. "I know why Niklaus killed Mikael. I have been mainly by Mikael's side for the last millennium; I know the facts. Now, can you please not tell anyone you saw me? I want to make a grand entrance and surprise everyone."

 "What do you mean?" Elijah asked. "Lise, what-"

 But she had already disappeared into the crowd.

 Throughout much of the party, Lise spent a lot of time in corners and shadows, slowly sipping at the glass of wine in her hand. They were all there, Mikael's children: Elijah, greeting everyone in his usual gentlemanly manner; Kol, looking to be charming the ladies, as usual; Rebekah, probably off chasing another boy; she even caught a glimpse of Finn, who did not look at all happy to be there.

 And then there was Klaus. He was playing the generous host and inserting himself into the spotlight. He clearly showed no remorse over murdering Mikael. But why would he? Mikael tried to kill him first, even though he had perfectly good reason to do so.

 Eventually, everyone was quieted down for a speech by the Mikaelson family. That was when Elisabet really began paying attention. When she heard the voice, she knew. She gently pushed through the crowd to get closer, to get a glimpse of her, and saw that what she heard and hoped for was true.

 It was Esther.

~~~~~~

 "Lise, I have told you before, it's dangerous," Esther said, bandaging Lise's hand.

 "Well, it couldn't hurt to know a little swordsmanship," Lise argued. "Even Mikael agreed with me. I know now that it isn't wise to fight with Nikalus and Kol, though. Elijah is much more gentle."

 "Lise, you shouldn't be worrying about who you're going to practice with next. That wound needs to heal, and then we will see."

 Lise wanted to argue, but she knew that Esther was right.

 Esther finished bandaging the wound. "There. Now, be careful."

 Lise nodded. "Thank you, Esther." 

 Esther smiled. "Be more careful, will you? By the time you're done, there'll be nothing left to bandage you hand with."

 Lise could hear what she was saying, but that smile was the only thing her mind could focus on.

~~~~~~

 Elisabet blinked, and realized whatever Esther was saying had ended. That was her cue.

 She began to clap slowly, and made her way through the crowd.

 "Well-said," she said, even though she hadn't really heard a word of it. "A grand speech, yes?"

 She went to the bottom of the stairs to stand in front of her cousins. "I am sure you are all wondering who I am. You know, random woman appearing in the middle of an announcement. Allow me introduce myself: my name is Elisabet Haraldsdotter, and I am a relative of the Mikaelson family. Mikael, this family's dearly departed patriarch, was my close cousin. My own parents died when I was very young, and Mikael always made me feel like a part of the family. In fact, you could say that I was...the 'eighth one'."