What's My Name

I was in my mother's chip shoppe, working as usual. I saw my first mate, Harry, enter the shoppe and turn on the TV. It was playing an interview in Auradon about Mal and the upcoming Cotillion. Ugh, she makes me so mad. I grabbed Harry's usual order and brought it to him. I grabbed some of the food and threw it at the TV screen

"Poser!" I yelled, addressing Mal on the TV.

"Traitor!" Harry joined in.

The rest of my crew joined in as well. Then Gil just had to go on and on about Mal from when we were kids. I was over all this talk about Mal. I wanted my revenge and I would figure out a way to get to Auradon to get it.

I turned to Harry. "What's my name?"

Harry removed his hat and kneeled in front of me. "Uma," he almost whispered with as much respect and admiration as a first mate should have.

Well, that's what most people on the Isle believe anyways. If love wasn't such a foreign concept here, I'm sure everyone would be able to pick up on the fact that Harry was in love with me. I mean, we're pretty flirty, and touchy feely, and there's nothing wrong with that on the Isle, actual affection on the other hand, people tend to have a problem with. Harry knows I have feelings for him (not sure about the love thing yet) but we both know very well that we wouldn't be able to have any kind of a relationship other than captain and first mate here. That's part of the reason that we want to go to Auradon so badly. As much as I despise Mal and want revenge on her, I really just want off the Isle and away from my mother and every other terrible person here.

...

I was alone, upset, and swimming back to the Isle from the Cotillion. I didn't know what I was thinking. Of course Mal would be able to break the spell that I put on Ben, and yet, after everything I did to them, both Mal and Ben (mostly Ben though) still tried to reason with me. The only reason I surrendered is because of how much Ben seems to care about the Isle, and Ben was right. I do care about the Isle and I want all the things that Ben kept trying to tempt me with, but I'm just not ready for something like that. Despite all that I wanted, I was still "evil"; I didn't belong there.

Now that I was back on the Isle, I thought of how much my crew was going to hate me for not being able to bring down the barrier. I was fully prepared to be kicked out of my crew; I deserved it, I failed them.

I just sat down on the beach and looked out on to the water longingly. The water has always calmed me and I always dreamed to be able to explore the oceans, but it's impossible because of the barrier.

I don't know how long I was sitting there until I felt a hand on my shoulder and Harry was suddenly sitting beside me. I turned away from him.

"Uma," he sighed. He lifted my chin with his finger and turned my face toward his. "Talk to me."

I took a deep breath. "I failed you." I looked down. "I failed everyone. I'm a terrible captain."

"Hey, hey," he said as he let go of his hook and placed his hands on either side of my face, forcing me to look back at him. "You didn't fail anyone. You made the king care about the Isle and he wants to help. You're an amazing captain, and" he pressed his forehead to mine, "you could never fail me."

I smiled at him. "Thank you."

"Now," he said as he stood up and held his hand out to me, "let's go back to the ship."

I grabbed his hand and he helped me up and we walked back to the ship hand in hand, not really caring about what anyone would think if they saw us.