Best Friends

Ludwig and Feliciano

Feliciano Vargas was a seven year old boy who moved to America from Italy about two years ago. He loved pasta, his brother, his nonno*, and many other things.
He was currently sitting in his first-grade class, bouncing softly in his seat. His face was lit up with a smile, as usual. The teacher was talking about addition... Did he need to know this? Well, Nonno would be mad if he didn't pass the test... Finally focusing on the teacher, his smile faltered as he saw that the teaching was being put off at the moment. Instead, Mrs. DeWitt was introducing a new student. Feli noticed his blonde hair, sky blue eyes... Pale skin... He could be a new friend! The boy started speaking, and he listened closely.
"H-Hello... My name is Ludwig Beilschmidt..." Feli giggled at the weird accent. He wondered what it was- but his question was answered for him.
"I moved here from Germany about three weeks ago."
Germany... Interesting.
The teacher told Ludwig to sit next to Feli. Feli's face lit up again, and he watched the other make his way to his new seat.
"Ciao*, I'm Feliciano Vargas! Wanna be my friend?" Feli asked, looking at him with a hint of glee in his eyes.
"Ja.... I guess..." The blonde answered, looking down shyly. The Italian noticed the other's nervousness, so he decided to let him calm down before going on.
Just then, the teacher dismissed them for lunch, and the boy jumped out of his seat, grabbing his lunch box.
Once in the cafeteria, he sat down at his usual seat, alone by the window.
He saw the new boy walking around, hopelessly trying to find a vacant seat.
"Hey, Ludwig, over here!" Feli called, pointing to the table he sat at.
Ludwig made his way over to Feli quickly, keeping his head down so he didn't trip over anyone's feet or something.
He placed his tray on the table, siting down as he bit his lip softly.
"Danke*, Feliciano..." The boy mumbled.
"Don't call me that... I like Feli better!" Feli giggled.
They both sat in an awkward silence. Ludwig picked at the gross cafeteria food, while Feli chowed down on some leftover pasta.
"If you won't eat that, you can have some of my pasta!" Feli offered.
"No thanks... I'll be okay," Ludwig replied.
They went silent again.
"So what's Germany like?" Feli asked, taking a sip of Beverly*.
Ludwig looked up, frowning in thought.
"It's... Pretty. Especially where I was. I was about two miles away from Berlin on a countryside. I have pictures... I'll bring some tomorrow. Where are you from, and what's it like there?" Ludwig spoke quietly, obviously still nervous about this new place.
"Oh, I'm from Italy! I used to live in a cabin about half a mile from a small village that I came remember the name of. It was so pretty! I'll bring in some pictures too!" He responded quickly.
Placing his things back in his lunch box, he smiled and stood up once recess was announced.
"Come on!" He told Ludwig. Ludwig smiled, standing and following the boy.
Maybe this wasn't going to be scary after all.

Nonno: Grandpa/Grandfather (Italian)
Ciao: Hello (Italian)
Danke: Thank You (German)
Beverly: An Italian soda. I've tasted it before... And it's disgusting. It's like Tonic Water... But sweeter before you swallow it.

I'll see you in the next chapter, dudes! Stay awesome in the name of Prussia!