The Music Box Dancer: Shatter Me

As the sound of a music box dancer rings in my ears, strings emit from the dark roof above me. A curtain draws to reveal an audience, and suddenly a spotlight blinds me, but then it moves to the real star of the show...

I pirouette in the darkness of the stage and sway to the right and then to the left in my ballet flats, while she does it on her pointe shoes. My heart beats as the song disappears into my thoughts... 

Why does she get to be the star? Why not me? She's just like a porcelain doll with her beautiful glass-like skin and long gorgeous hair.

We all gather around her in a circle, bowing down as she does a turn in her pointes. I glare up at her as we continue to worship her as a goddess. She returns my glare and I am suddenly frightened. Her eyes are pitch black holes. I'm frozen by the fear in me. She waves her arms as if commanding us to do something.

"Somebody make me feel alive and shatter me" she says, but only I could hear it. She suddenly then falls on her ankle. It appears to be broken, she crawls off-stage as quickly as possible. Everyone continues the dance, not to even notice her gone.

I take her place as we dizzily spin endlessly. The beat drops and we preform some street dancing. They're all playing along just like clockwork... Only if it could speak.

They all create a spiral with me as the point, the spotlights are shinning down on me making me sweat. My arms suddenly become stiffer. I look down at them and they look like porcelain glass! I feel as if I'm being controlled by a puppeteer. I mess up one of the moves and I feel a small pain on my wrist. I turn to look at it and it's cracking like glass.

"Is this how she feels all the time?" I wonder. I glance off-stage and see her  starring right at me, her eyes are totally normal now and she looks like she's crying. She's crying because I'm better than her, I'm in her spotlight.

A few seconds longer and now I'm all stiff. I can barely move; It hurts to move. I can barely see; my vision is blurry.

"Is this what it's like to be her?" I wonder again. "Is this what she feels? Is it what she goes through each and every day? Knowing that if she makes one wrong move she'll shatter?"

I now realize that the only way to break free of this torcher is to cut the strings that hold me captive and break the glass that conceals my soul. 

There's no one to catch me if I have to dive. I'm scared of change. I leap off the stage to escape my fate of porcelain pain. The world is spinning but only in gray....

"Somebody make me feel alive and shatter me" I hear a faint whisper before everything turns black and I forget all that is knowing and living.