o. prologue

↱                                                                                   ↰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘻𝘦𝘳𝘰: 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘶𝘦

↳                                                                                   ↲

𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬

     THE WIND IS WHIPPING my hair around, tugging on the roots and ripping a few free of my scalp. The brown strands obscure my vision as the wind worsens. Alec shields his eyes and curses as his foot sinks into the mud. The rain isn't exactly helping right now. It is stinging our skin and leaving red welts that soon heal on most of us, but remain on those whom heal normally.

     Derek lets out a roar and charges forward, his claws out and his eyes burning with anger and determination. Liam lets out an echoing roar and follows his fellow Alpha. In Valerie's place, William tears through the Packs and follows the Alphas, snarls leaving his mouth. At the sight of their leaders charging, the Packs respond. Splashes fill the air as they run after the Werewolves and Kitsune.

     They don't care whether they were running to their deaths or not, but I do. I grab the Hunters by their arms and pull them back, not letting them run into something that could kill them. Jace glares at me but stays by his parabatai's side, his hand clenched around the hilt of his seraph blade. Isabelle gives her Mate one last look before giving in and staying with me, while Clary just stands and glares at me.

     Lydia and Allison have no problem staying behind, so why did the Shadowhunters? Oh, right. They are used to running into danger without knowing what they're really going up against. This time, I am not letting any of them get hurt. Isabelle and Clary almost died the last time they all ran into a fight without even thinking. It's a good thing that Alec and Jace had their steles that day.

     "Are they going to be alright?" Alec asks, his eyes staring in the direction that the Packs ran.

     I follow his gaze and growl. "Let's hope they are. I can't help them with this one. It's immune to my Powers, and it can render them useless."

     "What is it exactly?"

     "It's a genetically altered Phoenix. Humans have interfered with the Supernatural world again."

     Allison tightens her hold on Alec's old bow. "This is nothing like that other Phoenix that almost killed us all."

     I roll my eyes. "That was a Fire Phoenix. This is a Water Phoenix that has been genetically altered. Of course it's nothing like that other Phoenix."

     Alec and I wince as pain shoots through us. Derek just got hurt. Next it feels like a giant hole has been punched into my abdomen again. I clutch my abdomen and fall to my knees, breathing heavily and letting out small growls. Derek. Alec crumples beside me and lets out a pained yell, the sound echoing through the rain.

     My eyes flare. "Derek!"