Chapter Three: Volva

There are knocks at my door the next morning, and I exhale softly.  “Come in,” I call.  I keep my body facing forward, standing just in the open doorway of my balcony and watching the morning star rise.  A gentle wind blows past me, shifting the thick, wool robe I wore over my nightgown, and playing with the flyaways of my plaited hair.

The door opens.  “My lady, Prince Thor asks of you to see him.” My handmaiden, Liv, says quietly.

I glance over my left shoulder.  “Yes, of course.” I reply.  She bows, before opening the door up further and stepping aside so Thor can shoulder his massive frame inside.  I face him with a smile.  “Good morning, my prince.” I greet, bowing slightly.

Thor waves me off.  “Oh, stop.  It is much too early for such formalities.”  He is clad in his light armor, Mjolnir in his right hand.  The only effects from last night that still remain is slight bruising under his eyes from what I assume to be a hard sleep.

I arch an eyebrow.  “It is perhaps too early for you, but some of us do not waste our days away by sleeping.” I say, clasping my hands together in the draping folds of my sleeves.  Truthfully, it was early for myself as well, as I had not slept much after the riddle I had received- the thought makes me involuntarily shiver, and thankfully I can play it off as a morning chill.

Thor chuckles.  “Of course, Lady Brita.” He replies, walking to the foot of my bed before stopping.  He looks uncomfortable and contemplative, as if unsure of how to phrase exactly what goes through his mind.  I wait patiently, but movement from the corner of my vision draws my attention back to the Bifrost.  My eyes narrow at the microscopic figures of my mother and Queen Frigga reaching Heimdall on the Rainbow Bridge, however I shove back any damaging emotion prior to festering.

“I must... apologize for my behavior last night, Lady Brita.”  Thor finally says, scratching the back of his neck.  I look at him with amusement in my eyes.

“How did that phrase taste coming from your lips?” I ask teasingly.

He smirks in a way only Thor can, a mixture of pride and laughter.  “Like bitter wine, my lady.” He plays along, and we share a brief grin of humor.  Then he sobers, blinking his electric, sky blue eyes with those cow-like lashes.  “I must ask, what transpired to make you react in such a way?”

I frown, fingers inadvertently clenching harder together.  “It was not I, Thor.”  I tell him, my voice bordering a growl.  Bile rises in my throat as I think of Vidar, and I am forced to look down in the attempt to compose myself.  

“Loki mentioned your suspicions of Vidar, but I cannot believe he would do such a thing to you of all people.” Thor says with doubt clear in his tone.

A humorless laugh escapes my mouth.  “Not you as well…” I sigh.  “Apparently, I am the only one unaware of Vidar’s feelings towards me, which is why his plan was entirely ingenious.”

Thor shrugs.  “Many of us were too consumed with merriment, do not let the incident bother you so.”  He suggests.  I shake my head, looking back out to the Bifrost in time to see the Observatory power up.  The Queen and my mother hug briefly, and then Lady Magna enters the sphere-shaped building.  I feel Thor come up closer behind me to watch the beam of light signal Mother’s departure to Alfheim, and my shoulders hunch almost in defeat.

“Is it wrong that I hoped she would change her mind?” I wonder aloud, my voice as timid as the child I used to be.   

“By chance there is a fair reason for your absence from Alfheim.”  Thor says.

I shake my head.  “You and your brother need to stop spending so much time together under such a loose influence.” I reply with a smirk.

The elder prince puts a hand on my shoulder.  “Come, Lady Brita.  I know what will cheer you up!”