Vlara

"Are you sure we want her?"

"I'm positive"

"But we already have Ender Wiggin"

"That doesn't mean he'll make it into command. "

"Are you suggesting that Ender will fail?"

"No. I'm just saying that since I let you have Ender, I should be able to have her."

"What about that nun's boy? What's the status on him?"

"He's smart, but he's scrawny. Besides, I'm pretty sure those test scores were forged. No one's that smart, especially not a little street rat from Rotterdam."

"Fine. But you have to be the one to convince her to go with you. I have my hands full with Ender."

"She hates her life at home. I don't think getting her to go will be a problem."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vlara reached up to touch the small bandage attached to the back of her neck. The feeling was strange, not having that little machine attached to her. She was so sure that she'd make it. Why shouldn't she? Wasn't she good enough? She was top of class in every subject. She was the child of a Commander. Why didn't they want her? The walk from the nurse's office had been a walk of shame. The great Pall isn't so great after all. But she largely ignored them, pretending as if her rejection didn't bother her at all.

Everyone knew Harry Pall had wanted a son. But instead he got a daughter, and perhaps he would've treated her as one if he had gotten the son he always wanted. But his wife had fallen sick, and although she recovered, she could no longer have children. From the was he kept his child's hair short and his brutal command for obedience, he raised his only child as a soldier in every sense of the word. To him, advancing in the world of military was the only admirable occupation. So when Vlara came home, rejected from the institution built for the best and the brightest, to say he was unhappy would be an understatement.

Vlara stood in the dining room, her hands folded behind her back, which was stiff as a board. She was stone-faced as her father walked into the room with her.

"I'm sorry sir. I tried." Vlara spoke, staring at a blank spot just beside where her father was standing. It was easier than actually looking at him, and he would've been angrier if he had ily cop anyways.

"Well apparently you didn't try hard enough." Her father's words were venom to her, bitter and cold. They angered her more than anything he had ever done. More than the beating and the yelling. More than the irrational rules. It was those words that balled her fists up behind her back.

"I did everything you wanted, sir." She spit back, still refusing to look up at him, "It isn't my fault that you trained me wrong. It isn't my fault they wanted a mindless soldier such as me. Perhaps if I had some freedom to show what I could do then-"

Her father brought his hand down onto the table with a loud bang, effectively cutting her off. He stepped forward and leaned down so his face was only an inch away from Vlara's face.

"It's not her fault Harry" Her mother said quickly, trying to diffuse the situation. But she had no power over her husband, despite her attempts to protect their child from his wrath. He ignored her though, not even bothering to look in her direction, and continued on.

"You had one job. I only wanted one thing from you. And you failed me and your family." Her father hissed, his hard glare not wavering for a second. He straightened up and raised his hand, Vlara instinctively tensing up, but before he could bring it down on his child, the door beeped.

He ignored it at first, but then Vlara's Mother pointed to the screen, "Harry, look." The visitor's International Fleet insignia was in full view. Harry immediately dropped his hand and opened the door from a button on the table.

The visitor, who was a man in a crisp military uniform, stepped through the door with an air of authority that even Vlara's Father couldn't match. In fact, Harry straightened up and saluted the man, which drew a small gasp from his daughter. She had never seen him enact an action of respect towards any other man before.

"Commander Pall, Mrs. Pall I am Major Anderson from the International Fleet. I hope I wasn't interrupting anything, but I am here about Vlara." The man said, saluting her Father back so he could relax.

All attention turned down to Vlara, who still stood at attention even though she was trembling like a leaf in the breeze.

"I would like to speak to Vlara privately, if you don't mind." Anderson glanced back up to her father, who seemed hesitant at first to let her go, "Before you refuse, you should know that you really don't have a choice. Vlara's parents nodded and left the room. Anderson took a seat at the table, motioning for Vlara to follow suit.

"Did I do something wrong? Am I in trouble?" Vlara asked.

"No, not at all. The I.F has requested for you to be sent to battle school."

"Battle school? I thought I failed. I thought they didn't want me."

"For some people, the last part of our examination is to see how they react without the monitor."

The man's calm demeanor angered her. How dare they do that to her? Did they not understand that her father could've killed her with the monitor gone? And now how dare this man act as if the pain he had just caused her was only routine.

"And I passed? What exactly where you waiting for me to do?" Vlara asked.

"Yes. You passed. Many speculated that you were too obedient. Your words towards your father proved otherwise."

"I only spoke seconds before you arrived how could you-"

Anderson held up a hand, silencing her, "Thats irrelevant. What matters here is Battle School, and whether or not you are willing to go. This is far from protocol, and there isn't much time for you to decide. But you have to understand, battle school won't be easy. And you won't get to visit home for a very long time. Your first leave will be when you are 12 years old under special circumstances, but you will be in school until you're 16."

Vlara thought this over. What was left for her on Earth. She loved her mother more than anything, sure, but her father had his expectations, and she really didn't have much of a choice in the matter. If she said yes, she was signing away what little freedom she already had, but if she said no, she might as well be signing her own death wish in the eyes of her father. He would never forgive her, and she would never be safe.

"I say yes, and you take me far away from here, correct?" She asked, holding Anderson's gaze. The Major nodded, knowing full well that while most students would be hesitant at leaving their families behind, Vlara would be eager to do so.

"I'll go" Vlara said without hesitation.

"Are you sure? You have to understand that battle school won't be easy."

Vlara leaned forward and stared up at Anderson, her deep blue eyes locking onto his.

"Sir, my life here is hell. I'd be stupid not to leave this place. All my life I have been working to get off of this planet and go to battle school. I'm not turning down this opportunity. "

Anderson nodded, suppressing what looked like a grin, "The shuttle leaves at 0700 in two days. You are forbidden to eat for 24 hours before launch. An I.F. representative will come and pick you up to take you to the shuttle, so make your good-byes before then. Bring nothing, school supplies and uniforms will be supplied once you are at Battle School."

Anderson stood and held his hand out to the small girl. She stood and took it, her hand tensing at his touch. Then, without another word, Anderson left.