Commander

"You're sure?"

"Positive. The system says this is what she needs. It took three years for it to decide but-"

"You understand what you're doing, right? You're effectively taking her worst fear and multiplying it. All of these boys should've been iced for their violence."

"I understand your concern for your friend, I do. But to be entirely honest with you, I could care less. I'm only sharing this with you so you can help us prevent any unfortunate events."

"You mean murder. You're sticking her with people that could very likely murder her. What's this for? What are you trying to prove?"

"You didn't seem this opposed to us doing the same to Ender."

"Ender is ruthless. He takes hand-to-hand combat. He antagonizes people. For him you break the rules because you want to use him. For her you break the rules for fun."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Vlara reached the barracks, Dink grabbed her before she could even make it to her locker to put on her flash suit.

"I'm sorry I'm late, sir I was-" She began out of instinct.

"Graff wants you." He cut her off, motioning to his desk. Sure enough, there was a message marching around the screen.

VLARA PALL
TO GRAFF'S OFFICE
IMMEDIATELY
BLUE GREEN BLUE

So they had found out about her conversation with Bean already? They were never this quick about anything. Perhaps it was more serious that Bean had lead her to believe. For a brief moment she was afraid. She could feel her hand trembling from where she held them behind her back. But then she realized that this was something she could use. Bean said they needed her. She could use her new knowledge to get what she wants.

But what does she want?

That was an interesting question that she hadn't considered before. She wanted an army. She wanted assurance that when she went back to Earth, she wouldn't be put back into the custody of her father. She wanted them to be honest about their plans for her. She wanted them to stop treating her like second string to Ender Wiggin and the Bean boy. To her, the demands sounded like those of a petulant child.

Teacher, it's not fair that he always gets gold stars, I'm just as good as he is.

She might as well walk in with a pout and her arms crossed. Instead, when she reached Graff's office, she walked in as if nothing was wrong. She could defend herself if the time came, but at that moment there was no need to be planning for a conversation that might not even happen.

Colonel Graff was much older and fatter than he had been when she last saw him. He practically spilled out of his chair. Major Anderson was there with him, much to Vlara's surprise. Maybe they were icing her after all. Why else would they both be there to speak with her? But then Anderson handed her a stack of papers, "Congratulations, you're being promoted."

She glanced down at the papers. Hound Army. "I thought there was some superstition against commanding an army that you had once been a part of."

"There was also a superstition against Dragon Army, yet we revived it and gave it to Ender Wiggin. It looks like you both have fate against you." Anderson replied, "Several informants seemed to believe that you needed to be pushed much harder. Apparently we were being much too nice to you. You should be pleased, though, you have an elite army on your hands."