Chapter IX • Nymeria

"My lord! My lord! They found her. She's unharmed." Jory Cassel came running up to Ned and Lyon Stark. His face became lit by the light of Lyon's torch as he marched up.

"Where is she?" Ned asked, brow drawing downward. Already he and Lyon marched after Jory as he led them back through the trees.

"She's been taken directly before the king," Jody told them.

Lyon cursed under her breath. "Gods damn it all. By whom?"

"The Lannisters, my lady. The Queen ordered her to bring them straight to the king."

Lyon and Ned exchanged a look of horror. Immediately she was calling through the woods. "Bring me my horse! Get me Balthasar!"

"Back! Back to the inn. All back!" Ned called, mounting his horse while Lyon rose upon Balthasar and the two sped off toward the inn.

Lyon reached the congregation and immediately dismounted her horse. Guards at the door stepped back as she pushed through the doors, and as soon as her eyes were upon Arya she was striding toward her and enveloping her in her embrace.

"Seven hells, Arya. Never make me worry like that again."

The younger girl clutched her sister's tunic, nodding into the leather. Arya peered over Lyon's shoulder and their father entered the hall, and soon she was in his arms.

"I'm sorry," Arya murmured.

"Are you hurt?"

"No."

Ned Stark pulled himself away from Arya but held her to his hip. Lyon went to stand at his side. "What is the meaning of this? Why was my daughter not brought to me at once?"

Lyon looked ahead to where Robert Baratheon sat, and next to him was his queen, who coddled their injured son. Joffrey met Lyon's eyes, and she returned his look with a glower before spotting a pale-faced Sansa.

The queen scowled at Ned. "How dare you speak to your King in that manner?"

"Quiet woman!" The king barked. "Sorry, Ned. I never meant to frighten the girl. But we need to get this business done quickly."

"Your girl butcher's boy attacked my son. That animal of hers nearly tore my son's arm off."

"Your son drew his blade on me. Had Arya's dire wolf not attacked then I would be lying dead in that clearing. Had he completed the withdrawal of his blade then my belly would have been split open."

The room fell silent as Lyon spoke. They watched as her hand went as though subconsciously to her belly. Her hand rattled but she clenched it as though to still it.

"Is this true, boy?" The King posed the question to his son.

"Of course it isn't. She's lying!"

"Your grace, since I was a child I have been taught not to lie. I was raised by my mother and father, who devoutly follow honor above all else. To doubt this truth is to question their teachings as well." Lyon spoke with her head bowed.

"Joffrey told us your sister and that boy attacked him. Are you calling my son a liar?"

Lyon straightened and raised her eyebrows at the blond prince. He cowered under her gaze, and this the queen and king saw. What they saw were shame and guilt, but Lyon saw the fear behind his eyes. It almost caused her to smile, but she kept her wits about her and continued to feign innocence.

"Prince Joffrey, let us put this all behind us. Please. I am ever so eager for you to wed my sister and I fear that our own friendship will suffer if this is not soon put behind us. It was an accident, and Nymeria would not have attacked had you not drawn your sword. It was all an unfortunate accident." Her green eyes glistened with moisture and the light of torches. Her act was good, genuine. Cersei watched the girl and gripped her armchair.