trois, quatre

"you make me happy,
when skies are gray."

-----

"on tuesday, the twenty-seventh, lieutenant colonel john laurens was killed in a gunfight against british troops in south carolina.
these troops had not yet received word from yorktown that the war was over.
he's buried here until his family can send for his remains.
as you may know, lieutenant colonel laurens was engaged in recruiting three thousand men for the first all-black military regiment.
the surviving members of this regiment have been returned to their masters." eliza reads, petering off at the end with a sad frown. she looks over at her husband, who was, for once, speechless. he stares at the letter in her hands, an unreadable look in his eyes.

"alexander, are you alright?" eliza asks gently, placing her hand over alexander's free one in a comforting motion.

alexander doesn't respond, feeling nothing.

it can't be his dear laurens.

it-it's a mistake. they got the wrong john.

a soft sound can be heard from the bundle alex is balancing in his arm.

alexander turns his gaze to his son, philip. he feels tears prick his eyes. now that he thinks about it, pip looks just like john.

philip holds his gaze, showing in his own infantly way that he understands and will love his father no matter what.

"alexander?" eliza repeats.

alex looks at eliza, before pulling his hand away from her, looking blankly at her as his voice cracks.

"i have so much work to do."