Chapter 8

I woke up thinking about Gabriel Stanton and then I felt even guiltier thinking about a total stranger when I saw that Corinth had left me a message some time during the night.

I played the message back, realizing how much I missed the sound of his voice as a bout of home sickness hit me. My fingers felt like fat sausages as I fumbled over the touch screen on my phone in order to find my favorites list. The moment I pushed call and the line started to ring, I breathed a sigh of relief.

He answered as soon as it rang, as if he'd been waiting for my call. "How was the flight?"

I pictured the look on his face—equal parts adorkable and intrigued.

"Just like sitting in the pits of hell, except 30,000 feet in the air."

He grunted. "You know, you being so far away—I have to admit...I don't like it." I could hear the hint of teasing, but I also recognized the sincerity in his voice. "I'm glad you made it safely. Now, go find your father so you can come back home."

I sat up and pulled at the edges of the down comforter in excitement. "About that. I already have a good lead."

"Lead?" He laughed. "You go to London and suddenly you're Sherlock Holmes? Can I be your Watson? No wait, I got a better one, I choose Mrs. Peacock; the wrench; in the library."

"Not your best, but speaking of libraries... I'm going to start at the town library here. Hopefully find out where the old churches are in the area. Remember when Dad used to like taking pictures of old places?"

"Sure. He took lots of photos of old buildings. That's a good idea, Larns." As soon as he said it, I couldn't hide the trace of a smile that lit up my face as he continued, "I don't sleep at night. If you ever want to chat or need anything at all, just call and I'll be there to help you work through this puzzle."

"I tried calling you as soon as I got in, but you never answered."

He sucked in a breath and blew it out in frustration, and I knew he was running a hand through that thick mane of his. "Yeah, sorry about that, Zoey stole my phone and wouldn't tell me where she hid it." He was silent for a second and when he spoke, it was so quiet I almost didn't hear him. "I miss you."

As soon as he said it, I felt the familiar warm sensation spring up in my cheeks; but this time I welcomed it because he couldn't see my deranged grin. "Don't get all mushy on me, Taylor."

"Shut it, Collins," he said and hung up.

I sat up and stretched, enjoying the tiny thrill of eagerness that tugged at my subconscious. Would today be the day I found my father? I think if I found him, the first thing I'd ask him is why he left us without a word or a goodbye. It wasn't a normal move, even if he did leave us for someone else. So, once I knew the answer, whatever it may be, I could move forward from there. That was the plan, anyway. Also, the sooner I found him, the quicker I could get back and figure things out with Corinth—the word boyfriend kept popping up in my head, but I was one of those people that didn't like to count their chickens before they hatched, and firmly believed I could jinx myself if I dwelled too much on it.

I called my mom next, and then Amber. As soon as she picked up, she gave me a hard time for not calling sooner. The first thing she wanted to know was if I had met any hot guys. I instantly thought about Gabriel Stanton, but I kept my mouth shut. For some reason, I held my tongue and I didn't even tell her about my date with Corinth, either. If I announced the news publicly, I would definitely jinx it.

After I'd made my phone calls, I plucked my father's journal from the floor where it had fallen off the bed sometime during the night and pored over the contents one more time.