1

Jaedyn Flynn

I'd always known I was different.

From a young age, I'd always known I didn't quite fit in with the kids. Something was different about me, and I just couldn't connect to them in the way they did with each other.

It started when I was 10, on my birthday. I'd had my party and was lying in bed when I felt... strange. Like a weird tingling sensation jolted through my body. I felt almost renewed, yet also suddenly endangered.

I constantly began feeling a nagging feeling, like I wasn't safe. Like someone was out to get me. It was always there, in the back of my head.

Mom didn't understand. She simply brushed it off and said I was just paranoid. But I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched; of being pursued.

Maybe this is just part of growing up, I began to think. You begin feeling uneasy, and that was that.

Up until about a week after my 11th birthday, 5 years ago, when my mom told me to tidy my room and I just couldn't be bothered. I just wanted my room to tidy itself and in a blink of an eye, the room was spotless.

I was fascinated, yet terrified. What had just happened? Did I do that? Or did God send an ethereal being from above?

Either way, I was too freaked out. I started to wake up with bruises and scratches. The first time it happened I was so terrified of what Mom would say, and I just wanted to be able to scrub away the marks in the shower. To my horror, as soon as I let the water droplets roll down my body and carry away the soap bubbles, I was completely clear. Had I imagined the scars and bruises? Or had I really just scrubbed them away?

I hadn't done anything since. It was too freaky, and probably all just coincidental. It couldn't be...

~

"See you, Mom." I planted a kiss on her cheek as I climbed into my best friend Frankie's car.

"Be safe, call me if anything comes up!"

"I will!" I called as we drove away.

"Did you do your chemistry homework?" Frankie grinned as I face palmed.

"I knew I was forgetting something! I just hope Mr Doherty forgets." I groaned.

"Good luck with that. You know that man is scrupulous with homework checking." he laughed, making a sharp turn.

We soon arrived at school, rolling up into a neat little parking space next to some swanky ass Porsche - most likely belonging to David Hayden, or Alisha Lynwood.

"Jae! Thank God you're here. Apparently there's a new boy joining today, and they're all saying he's super hot!" Lynsay charged up to me breathlessly.

"I'm sure he's not that h-"

"Count me in! I need a new boy toy. Or at least some eye candy. He's probably straight." Frankie chirped in, causing me to roll my eyes.

"At least someone's hyped." Lynsay laughed. "Maybe he'll be in my history class, to replace Zara Hypher."

"Or mine and Jaedyn's chem class!" Frankie spoke excitedly. "Oh I am just buzzing for this boy."

"I can tell! Now let's go to my locker before we're late for homeroom." I chuckled as all three of us strolled into the building.

~~

The day dragged but there was no sign of the new boy. Last period rolled round and I was dreading having to explain to Mr Doherty that I didn't happen to have my homework on my person.