Chapter Eleven

CHRISTMAS DAY

Cassandra looked into the mirror as she tried to do her eyeliner, but somehow today was not her day.

"You know what." Cassandra says capping the eyeliner and wiping the smudged makeup off her eye.

She was dressed in something simple yet professional for greeting a family. A simple peach body con dressed that stopped at her knees and a black bomber jacket.

Her short hair brushed and curled. And her natural look using minimal makeup. Gold hoops in her ears and gold rings on her fingers.

"You must really like this boy." Aunt Vye said breaking the ends off the fresh green beans.

Cassandra smirked, "He actually invited me to his family dinner. Not the other way around."

Aunt Vye looked up from the pot and held the green bean between her fingers. She smelled Cassandra's bullshit.

"Y'all made a bet about whose gonna fall first. What has this generation come too. I remember in my day when guys used to bring me flowers and we actually talked on the phone not text." Aunt Vye said sighing.

"He wants to take me to prom. I said he got five months to prove to me that he should take me to prom." Cassandra said.

"Mhm. Don't let that boy break ya heart. Y'all might as well be dating for all that." Aunt Vye said hearing the door bell ring.

"I'll get it." Cassandra said running to the door.

She opens the door and meets Aaron's smiling face. She takes in his attire, already smelling his cologne.

Aaron was clad in black jeans, a tee shirt with Biggie Smalls on the front and a black visor. Aaron notices her wearing a dress and clears his throat.

"You look pretty today." Aaron compliments her.

"Thank you." Cassandra says waving to her Aunt and leaving with Aaron.

Cassandra sat nervous in the car as Aaron pulled up to his parents mansion. Her palms sweaty and her legs feeling like jello.

"It's not that bad. It'll be fine." Aaron says opening the passenger door for her.

Aaron reaches out for her hand. He sneakily intertwined their hands. Cassandra didn't even notice because she was staring at the door.

She wouldn't budge so Aaron guided her using his hand that rested on her lower back. Taking small steps they ended up at the door.

Aaron opened the door and the smell of soul food spilled into their nostrils. Little kids ran around the house laughing and playing with toys.

A huge Christmas tree sat in the living room with presents under the tree. Aaron's relatives looked at who was coming in the house. All eyes landed on Cassandra.

Cassandra gulped and timidly smiled. She wasn't ready for everything about to happen.

"Everyone, this is my friend, Cassandra. Cassandra these are my relatives." Aaron says making sure they were nice.

"She single?" Aaron's older cousin, Derrick, asked.

"No, she taken. Mind ya business punk ass." Aaron said leading Cassandra to the kitchen.