Chapter 5

Elena's eyes widened. "You've met Katherine?" She questioned in slight fear and awe. If he came across Katherine, she was amazed that he managed to get out before she sunk her claws into him.

"Nope but Isobel gave me a photo of her so that I knew what you would look like." Dean stated with a chuckle but when he saw Elena's eyes widen the way they did, he saw something that he did pass down to her. When Elena's eyes widened the way they did, Dean caught sight of the green specks in her brown irises; green that he could only give her.

From afar, those green specks wouldn't be noticeable which would be problematic when Katherine was concerned but even now, having only Katherine's photo at his disposal, he could instantly see the differences between the photographed Katherine and the real Elena. It still amazed Dean how he could spot the differences between the two so easily when they were ultimately destined to be identical. No matter how either of them dressed or how they wore their hair, their eyes and their mannerism is what gave the two of them away to this Winchester. Aside from the stories he's heard, based on Katherine's photo alone, Dean got the vibe that she was a girl that you would need your guard up while having a good time with her. When it came to Elena, on the other hand, Dean could see her as the sweet girl-next-door that everyone just adored and who'd they ultimately want to protect because of her kind nature. The hunter didn't have to know either doppelganger to get two distinct impressions from a shared face.

Elena's nose scrunched up in confusion. "Why didn't she just give you a picture of me if she needed to? I mean she could have gotten it from my uncle John if she needed one." She stated after thinking the whole thing over for a bit. After she got over the bit about Isobel giving a complete stranger a photo of her vampire ancestor while claiming it to be her, she couldn't help but wonder why not give him an actual photo of her and not Katherine. It wasn't like Isobel couldn't get John to snatch one up for her to give to Dean. So why didn't she?

Dean shrugged; he had wondered the same thing when Isobel had originally given him the photo. "She could have but you were twelve the last time I saw Isobel so that picture wouldn't have really helped since I needed to stay clear of Katherine too." He explained as he moved back to lean against the couch's armrest yet he still remained in full view of Elena. The hunter also took notice that everyone else had remained where they stood during the tests while their attention was on him or Elena.

Elena was flabbergasted by that piece of information. "You've known about this...about me...for five years?" Even when she said it out loud, she didn't know what to make of the information. She was kind of still reeling from the fact that he actually came after she called him yesterday.

Dean exhaled deeply; he wanted to tell her so much yet he didn't want to tell her a thing because the timing wasn't right. They didn't have time to bond since he was initially there for a reason. So he went for the basic line that would hopefully be enough for her, for all of them, at the moment. "I've...known about the supernatural since I was a little kid but I've been a hunter since I was sixteen."He stated before he gave a side glance towards Sam; he didn't correct his older brother since this was ultimately for Dean to tell Elena. When Dean saw that Sam wasn't going to interrupt, he gave his brother a grateful nod before he turned back to look at Elena. "I've only known about the doppelganger sacrifice for the past five years."

"And you're just coming now to help?" Stefan questioned with some irritation before Elena had the chance to. He didn't like how this guy just knew things about Elena when it was obvious that she hadn't met him before that afternoon. "Why not five years ago?" He finished off a little more harshly as he glared at the human. Normally he wouldn't be so hostile yet when it came to Elena's safety, all bets were off.

Dean's kind demeanor was gone in an instant before he gave Stefan a murderous glare that would have people backing away from him. It's the one he usually gave to those that threatened his family in any way whether the threat was meant for Sam, their father, Lisa and Ben or now Elena, Dean would glare at the perpetrator as if his very stare would incinerate them on the spot. "Because I had bigger dicks to deal with and at the time I didn't know much about it compared to what I know now." He stated through his gritted teeth as he clenched his fist a few times. "And believe me when I say that knowing what I do now makes a difference."