Chapter 34//

Song: After the rain by Nickelback

//

I've never had Penne alla Vodka before, but I can tell you now that Kaleb's is the best. I end up eating three helpings of it, plus several pieces of garlic bread. To say I was full, was an understatement.

"Do you want to take some how with you? There's plenty of extras." Kaleb asks as he shovels the left over pasta into a take out bowl.

"Really? That would be great." I smile up at him, but don't leave my seat. I'm pretty sure Kaleb will have to roll me out his front door. "That was the best thing I've ever had."

He laughs, "Thanks."

"Seriously, I'm not kidding. What do you want to do once you graduate? You should be a chef." I tell him.

"I want to be a surgeon." He says quietly with his back still to me.

Kaleb Nixon wants to be a surgeon? The Kaleb Nixon that skips school on a regular basis and doesn't take anything seriously? That Kaleb Nixon?

"Wait, come again? You want to be a what?" I question.

He spins around finally to face me, there's a ghost of a smile on his lips. "You heard me."

"I mean," I stutter. "Why?"

"My mother was a neurosurgeon. I guess, I just want to be like her." He shrugs.

I stare at him for a moment, words lost on the tip of my tongue. I didn't know what to say to him. I'd totally read Kaleb Nixon wrong at the beginning. I thought he was a shallow bad boy, but he was so much deeper than that. There was so much hiding under his surface and I wonder why he didn't let anyone see it but me.

"What do you want to do?" He asks.

My attention snaps back to him, "What?"

"What do you want to do after high school?" His inquisitive eyes study me for an answer that I don't know how to give.

"I used to want to go into music." The words spill out of my mouth before I can stop them. Here I am again telling Kaleb Nixon things he should never know.

"You play piano, right?"

"Played."

"What changed?"

"I lost my parents." I sigh, resting my chin on my palm. "My mom was the one that taught me to play piano. After she died, I just lost the desire."

"I'm sorry." He says slowly.

I shrug, but don't say anything. I don't know what to say.

Sofia comes running into the room a minute later, two dolls in her hands. She's singing under her breath and twirling around. Kaleb catches her and flips her upside down. I hear Sofia giggle and scream with excitement.