Chapter 21: The Fast Food Chronicles of Joshua Sterling

Sadao stood at the register of McRonald's, a tired smile spread across his face. His shift was almost over and he stared out the front window for customers with a fierce determination, as though he could will people to walk in with his mind. 

A well dressed man in his mid-sixties exited a black limousine, his shoes clicked on the cement side walk and his long black coat flapped in the breeze. He gave off an aura of confidence and intimidation that made the passersby on the street turn their heads in his direction before lowering their eyes in respect.

To Sadao's surprise the man entered fast food establishment. The place instantly quieted a little and several heads turned in his direction. Whispers hissed throughout the restaurant. Although, the man didn't seem to notice. He shoved a hand in one pocket and stood with a cocky stance of a man much younger than him would, and looked up at the menu above Sadao's head.

"Hello, Sir! Welcome to McRonald's. Let me know when you're ready to order," Sadao said cheerfully, and the man nodded. 

"Ummm... I'd uh- I'd..." the man stuttered, his posture was unchanged, but his voice quivered a bit in uneasiness. Sadao waited patiently as the man's face reddened. What was up with this guy?

The man took a deep breath before saying, "I'd like a krabby patty..."

Sadao blinked, "Pardon?"

"I don't see it on the menu... but I was told they were the thing to get in Japan these days..." the man said, looking confused.

"I'm extremely sorry, Sir, but we do not have this krabby patty on our menu, but might I suggest a cheeseburger?" Sadao said, and the man looked as though he wanted to go die in a hole.

"U-uh, sure. The large cheeseburger... no pickles," he said, his confident posture remained but his face gave away his anxiety. Anyone watching would think he was ordering and acting perfectly normal, perhaps even snobbish, but in reality this guy was incredibly nervous.

"Fries with that?" Sadao asked.

 The man nodded, "A medium fry."

 "And what to drink?"

"A lemonade," the man murmured

"Is that all?"

"A-also, I'd like..." the man's face reddened in embarrassment, "A chicken nugget happy meal with a chocolate milk."

"Alright- that's a large cheeseburger with a medium fry, a lemonade, and a happy meal with a chocolate milk," Sadao repeated back and he nodded. Sadao handed the man a disposable cup, "That'll be ¥ 1200."

"Ah... okay..." the man muttered, pulling out his wallet to pay as Chiho scrambled in the back to get his order ready. He began to fumble with some bills and handed one to Sadao, hurrying with his cup over to the drink fountain. An attractive young man with jet black hair dressed in a similar suit and long coat as the older man, with a more casual air about him walked into the restaurant. 

Sadao looked down at the bill in his hand. What the hell...?

It definitely wasn't used in Japan, that was for sure. It had a 100 in the corner, and an old man with a receding hair line in the center. Sadao blinked a couple times.

"Uhhh... Sir? I can't accept this money... it's not the right currency, I don't think..." Sadao called politely. The man had his back to Sadao, but his shoulders stiffened and he started to turn around slowly.

The young man walked up to Sadao and sighed deeply in vexation, "How much was it?"

"¥ 1200," Sadao said, and the young man produced the correct amount out of his pocket and handed it over.

"I apologize deeply for this man's... behavior," he said, and the other man cringed as he fumbled putting a lid on the cup containing his carbonated beverage, "My name is Carson Osaka, and that idiot is my boss, Joshua Sterling. This happens... a lot."

"Oh... I see," Sadao murmured, and nodded as Carson rolled his eyes. Sterling? I know that last name...

"Anyway- would you be so kind, Sir, as to give us directions to Sasazuka XXXX?" he asked, as Mr. Sterling walked over slowly, looking very much like he wanted to run away and never come back.

"Oh... yeah it's over-" and as Sadao began to give the two men directions he had a feeling the address was somehow familiar. He knew the town, sure, so it was easy to explain where they were going to go, but there was something very familiar about the address. As though he had heard it said a few times before. 

"Thank you, Sir," Carson said as Sadao finished giving directions. Mr. Sterling gratefully took the brown paper bag, and the happy meal box from Chiho, who smiled and said a small "Have a nice day!"

The two men began to leave the store and the pieces suddenly clicked together (like their shoes) in Sadao's head, "HEY! Do you know a Margaret Sterling?"