Chapter 35-Let's Bring Up the Past, Shall We?

Chapter 35

The phone rings from it's place on the coffee table. The vibration easily irritates me to the point where I have to pick it up. The time says midnight, but what the hell I'm awake. I only just got home an hour ago from the hospital, so sure, I'll pick the stupid phone up.

"He-" I start to say before I'm cut off.

"What did you tell Clark?" Joey's boisterous voice seems to wake me up from the remaining sleep that had clouded my eyes.

"What do you mean 'What did I tell Clark'?" 

"He was here when I came home. Your little boyfriend had a shit fit and started yelling at me about being unfaithful to Emma?"

Oh no, Clark. Why?

"I swear to you," I say, sitting up and stretching out my back. I turn off the T.V as well before answering. "Clark asked me about it, and I told him that you were having girl troubles but-"

"Alex! But nothing! It's actually a good enough reason to assume I'd cheat on Emma! You're lucky she went into the house before she heard any of that!"

I put my glasses on, then, rub my eyes to rid the fogginess from them. I tell Joey, "Why is this such a big deal? You told him you weren't cheating, which you're technically not, so why does he assume and seem so sure that you are or did?"

I hear Joey's breathing through the phone, trying to figure out what it is he has to say. What's this all about, why does Clark seem to think that Joey would cheat on her?

"Because I did it in college," he finally breathes out.

I don't know whether to laugh or be completely astonished. So I laugh. "Haha, yeah right, Joey, very funny!"

He's not laughing. And he's not joking.

"Alex," he whispers furiously. "What the hell do you think this is, some sick joke?"

I hear him walking around inside his house, so he must have passed Emma. She's all moved in now, did it while Joey was at Jessie. She sounds like she's made herself right at home. 

"No, I think all of this is. You cheated on some chick in college? What the hell, Joey? I thought you were close to tell me if something like this happened. Why didn't you tell me this?"

"It was Clark's girlfriend."

I actually drop the phone from my hand. No wonder Clark never seemed to want to have sex with anyone. It doesn't surprise me anymore. It doesn't shock me that he doesn't want to go around gloating about his sex life. How much do I want to make a bet that Clark was planning on sleeping with that girl before she cheated on him with my best friend?

"You did...what?" I manage to say when the phone is back against my ear. "You cheated on Clark's ex? What...what the fuck, Joey?"

A car door slams on his end of the phone. "I know, I know, I'm a horrible person. Please listen to me."

"Everything makes sense to me now. Why Clark...why we haven't had sex yet. Because he's afraid to. It was your fault?" I stand now, beginning to pace against the floor. I feel the dull throb from my gash - or maybe it's the appendix scar - pissing me off. Dammit. It doesn't help that I feel guilty for lying to Joey. It explains though, why he was never looking for sex unless the girl was serious. 

It also explains why he always has this look...he's afraid I'm gonna cheat on him because that's what happened last time. He thinks I'm going to run to Dylan. But I stole his virginity...oh God, I need to sit again.