Things go sideways

Okay so I typed it in word, so I had to cut in half what I had already written. This is the second half ;)

And with that I sat in my iron circle on the third floor. Alone. In the cold, which was by the way getting worse with every hour, like Lady Montague had told us. I tried to read a novel, but my frozen hands didn't make it easy and also I was already on my fourth chewing gum.

"Lucy..."

"Skull?"

But then I remembered that had put down the lever after he wanted me to push Holly off the second floor. Still I checked.

"Skull, was that you?"

"Was I what? You cut me off, remember? Yeah, I'm still mad, don't even try talking to me."

"You didn't call my name?"

"Still not talking to you, so no."

"But...there! There it was again!"

"Well, it wasn't me, happy now?"

"No, tell me what's going on! Is there anything I should know?"

"Yeah. You're a bad friend. That's what's going on."

"Just tell me already!"

"Fiiine! Something is going on in the first floor."

"Yeah we already know that."

"No, right now. But okay, if the lady already knows that..."

But I was already up on my feet, rapier drawn, rushing down the stairs.

When I reached the second floor, Holly looked up startled, "Lucy, what's wrong?"

"I don't know, but something's happening."

I passed her and heard her following me down the stairs. She had caught up to me when we arrived on the first floor.

I was ready to stab anything that came into my way, but there were only Lockwood and George sitting in their circle playing cards, jumping as we stumbled into the nearly completely dark room.

"Jesus, Lucy, I nearly had a heart attack!" George held his chest.

"Wha-...This stupid skull! He told me that something was happening to you guys!"

"Well, he's messing with you, nothing is happening except the frost bites on my toes." George rubbed his feet.

Lockwood instead frowned, "We should take a look around, just to be sure."

The first floor mainly consisted of a library, but there was a little bathroom leading from it as well. Holly and I checked that, but there was nothing. We met with the other two back in the library.

"I can't see anything. Luce, have you heard something?" Lockwood was still frowning.

I bit my lip, "Well...not here."

"What do you mean?" Holly joined the frown.

"When I was up alone, I thought the skull was calling me, but the jar was closed. He couldn't have talked to me."