A New World, A New Start

August 21, 1974

Today was the day that I was to be moving to England. 'Albus' was supposed to be picking me up at the entrance to Beauxbatons - which may or may not have been where I was currently standing.

Beauxbatons has its students dress nicely - whether or not they need to be in uniform. This was why I wore a plaid green, knee-length skirt over a white long-sleeve blouse. I also wore black tights and a pair of black dress shoes.

All throughout the day, I heard whispers as I walked the school - it was a requirement for all students to wear their uniforms - and I was not in uniform. To add onto the whispers, no one ever left the school in the beginning of the semester. 

As a fourth year, it was very unusual for me to be leaving, well, not me because it was well known that the headmistress did not like me (the reason why I didn't have any friends up to this point). I was given some smirks - from those who sided with the headmistress. From others, mostly ignorant first-years who hadn't been effected by the bias yet.

While Albus had done a great thing for me, I found myself cursing him for not being here sooner. He knew that there would be people who I would not be able to avoid, situations that would make me glad to be leaving. I slumped down onto my one suitcase (it wasn't as if I really could afford anything much anyway).

I sighed, exhaustion flooded over me as I whispered, "Please hurry . . ."

~~~~~~~~~

"Miss Elaine?" I flinched awake as a hand came into contact with my shoulder. I hopped up placing my hands in front of my face to try to protect myself from what I believed was an intending attack. While I was fully alert, I hadn't opened my eyes - in fact, I did the opposite.        ". . . Miss Elaine?"

Slowly, I opened my eyes to see a very concerned Albus reaching for me, "M-Mister Albus?" I then stood up completely, but took a step back from the man. I shakily spoke, dropping my hands and trying to place a ruse of sorts on my face so that I could keep him from seeing anymore of what life decided to put me through, "Sorry, I must have fallen asleep."

While he was still concerned, he too straightened up, playing along with my ruse for now, "Well, are you ready to go?"

I looked towards the arm he offered to me. I grabbed my suitcase and looked towards him.

"I - I guess," I spoke as I placed my hand through the one he had offered.

I hadn't been able to have any doubts as in the next moment, there was a crack and we had apparated away.

~~~~~~~~

As we arrived, I had to place my arm above my head to block out the sunlight that blinded me. Slowly, my eyes had adjusted to the brighter, English . . . town?

Confused, I turned to my guide, "Where are we?"

A chuckle of amusement left the old wizard's mouth, "Welcome to Diagon Ally." I looked at him, as I had no clue as to why we had come here instead of the school. More laughter errupted, "Did you think that I would bring you to the school, that's already in session, without the necessary materials?"

I separated from him instantly, "B-but, but I can't afford much - are the books I used at Beauxbatons not good enough?" He moved his hand over my head, I flinched, ducking my head further down, "I - I'm sorry, I - I didn't mean to -!"

I was silenced by a soft, kind patting of my head.

We both were silent as a moment passed on between us.