Day Drinking

Coming up the stairs, I held a little brown box close to me as I closed the basement door and headed upstairs, where Stefan and Elena hanging out.

"Hey, did you get it?" Stefan asked.

"Yeah, I finished everything this morning." Setting the box on the bed, Stefan opens it revealing a small bed of vervain flowers and some silver jewelry above.

"What's this for?"

"This is vervain, it'll protect you and Jenna. Oh, and that bracelet is for Jeremy, you can give the extra ones to friends or family." I added.

"And the flowers?"

"You can put it in your drinks, food, or in jewelry, each of these has a little compartment for them," I said.

"As long as it's in you or on you, a vampire cannot control you," Stefan whispered placing the pieces of jewelry in Elena's hand.

"That's a lot to remember."

"I know, but there's another vampire in town, so until we find out who it is and what he wants, we have to be careful."

"And that's my cue. I'll see you guys later." I said, as I headed for the stairs and out the door.

~

Entering the Grill, I looked around for a few seconds and headed for an open seat at the bar afterward.

"What can I get you?" A bartender asked.

"Um, bourbon."

Raising an eyebrow, he rests his hands on the counter.

"I'm gonna need some I.D."

Leaning closer, he follows my move.

"You don't need to see my I.D...the drink's on the house," I whispered softly, feeling my eyes dilate.

"You know what...forget the I.D., your drink's on the house." He smiled.

"Gee, thanks."

Grabbing something from underneath the counter, he places a bowl of peanuts while I wait for my drink.

Sitting in silence, I stared at the large mirror in front of which reflected behind me.

'So, what were you thinking of wearing to the dance?'

'I heard, Sarah and Nick were sneaking around the Chemistry lab last night.'

'Have you seen how ugly Pheobe's hair is?'

"Here you go." The bartender said, placing my drink on a napkin.

"Thanks."

Wrapping my hand on the glass, I rotate the ice inside when I feel someone looking at me.

"What the hell do you want, Damon."

"Tsst, tsst. What did I tell you yesterday? Don't raise your voice at me, you know how I get in front of a crowd."

Making himself comfortable in the seat next to me, he grabs the bowl of peanuts in front of me.

"So, I was thinking we team up and take on this vampire situation."

"What makes you think I'll work with you." I hissed, sipping on my drink.

"Well, I'm sure you don't want Elena to get hurt, but also Matt Donovan. Remember how Vicki ended up...yeah, I do too."

"But I also think we need a fresh new start."

"I'll never forget the first time we met, although I keep trying," I added.