Chapter 7

Lauren's POV

I was tidying up Dixon's stable, getting it ready for inspection, even though my horse wasn't here to mess it up. I kicked some straw into the corner of the stable and chewed nervously on my lower lip.

"You okay?" Camila asked, running a body brush over Shadow's long black neck.

"Uh... yeah." I lied. The tired was she wasn't okay. My classes began tomorrow and my horse was yet to arrive.

Sighing, I took one last look around the stable before picking up Dixon's water bucket and carrying it out to get fresh water. I carried it out of the stable black and over to the far corner of the riding grounds where the hose was. Emptying the bucket, I refilled it and carried it back, placing it in the same spot it had previously been in.

I looked around the stable agin to double-check it was perfect before a loud, wild whinny caught my attention. I left the stable to see what was going on.

To my surprise, Dixon was fighting against two strong stable hands, his chestnut coat glistening with sweat and his eyes wild. Dixon hated strangers.

A small smile crossed my face and I whistled to him. Dixon stopped, standing in place. His ears pricked forward and he looked around for me, whipping his head in every direction. The two stable hands, stumbled but relaxed, thinking he'd stopped fighting them.

I whistled again and he turned his head in my direction. Seeing me, he whinnied back, throwing his head. He walked towards me, dragging the two stable hands behind him.

Stopping in front of me, Dixon nudged my shoulder with his nose. Smiling, I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him, despite his sweaty skin.

Dixon wrapped his head round me, nibbling my hair. He nuzzled my back as I pulled away, taking his reins from the stable hands, I apologised to them and thank them.

"Come on, let's get you inside and cleaned up." I ran my hand down Dixon's nose. I led him inside.

We walked passed Shadow and she stretched her head out and nipped Dixon on the shoulder. Dixon jumped back, pulling me with him. His ears flattened against his neck, he let out a fearful whinny.

Camila scolded Shadow and apologised to me as I calmed Dixon. She held Shadow's nose as I led Dixon into his stable.

I quickly picked up Dixon's bag of brushes and began to clean the sweat off of him as the two stable hands placed his trunk outside the stable.

Dixon relaxed, looking at Shadow fearfully. I ran my hand down his neck once it was sweat free.

Dixon shook his head and turned, facing away from Shadow.

"Guess he doesn't like her." Camila said.

"He'll get used to her, she's new and he's not to keen on new things." I respond, hoping Dixon would get used to her.