Chapter Two

Bright had been fooling around after school when he received a text from an unknown number.

[Meet me at the noodle shop in front of the school]

Followed by another text.

[It's me, Toota, by the way]

He hadn't been expecting Toota to contact him in any way.  Wasn't that what they had agreed on?  But Toota did say he will need Bright to do certain things.  Bright gulped nervously.  This was it, the end of his carefree life.  He will be forced to join a gang and do their dirty work.

Bright pulled his friend Mark to a corner.

"If I don't text you in an hour go look for me at the noodle shop."

"What the... what's going on?" Mark asked pulling back his arm.

"Toota wants to meet me, and I don't know why.  Just go find me please?"

"Serves you right for teaming up with him."

Would you have done the project with me then?" Bright asked dryly.

"I will check on you," Mark replied sweetly.

"Thought so, see you later."

********************

Even from afar Bright could see Toota deep in thought, turning the pages of a massive book.

"Ai Toota... what's up?"

Toota looked at him over his huge glasses.

"You are late."

Bright sat across him, feeling uncomfortable, it was a new feeling for him.  He had never been nervous with people before.  He always clicked with anyone. It was probably the ridiculous rumors, he thought.

"Sorry, I got caught up, so why did you want to see me?"

"Did you really expect me to do everything, and just put your name down?  That's not happening.  I will write it, but you will be the one presenting it."

"What?  I thought we agreed!"

"Relax, I will tell you everything you need to know and all you have to do is memorize it.  Say it in front of the class and...  Don't give me that face Bright, we all know you like to talk."

It was clear to Bright that Toota didn't beat around the bush.  He didn't mind presenting, but he didn't like Toota bossing him around either.

"What if I don't want to?" Bright asked in a challenging voice.

Who did Toota think he is?  He is a new kid and for all he knew, Bright could be a mean guy and could turn Toota's life into a living hell.

Toota closed his book, "Fine, I will ask for another partner."

Bright rolled his eyes muttering, "As if anyone would want to be paired with you."

"What did you just say?" Toota asked, his voice rising.

"I said no one would want to be paired with you.  Everyone knows you were kicked out of your previous school.  Nobody wants to be involved with you," Bright replied angrily.

He knew what he was saying was uncalled for.  He was the last person anyone would expect to hurt another person.  People often accused him of being too friendly just so he wouldn't be hated by anybody.

Toota just nodded and stood up.

Bright had expected a stronger reaction from him.  Toota's expression had changed.  He no longer looked stern.  His eyes behind the glasses were blinking fast.

"Thank you for letting me know Ai Bright.  I guess I will do all the work by myself then.  You could probably work with one of your friends.  I'm sure the teacher wouldn't mind, see you later."

Bright watched Toota leave in horror.  Why did he have to open his mouth and ruin everything?  How was he supposed to find another partner?  Even worse, he had upset someone for no reason.

"Ai Toota wait."

********************

Toota groaned internally when he heard the phrase "work in pairs."  Whose idea was it to force people to work together when it was completely unnecessary.  It was a history project for goodness sake.  They were not advocating for world peace.

To say he was caught off guard would have been the understatement of the year.  Toota had never expected everyone's darling, Bright, of all people to come to him asking to work together.  He had noticed Bright from his first day. it was hard not to.  Bright liked to keep the class in high spirits.  Everyone seemed to love him, including the teachers even though he made a lot of noise in class.  He seemed to be handling school politics quite well.

Toota knew his peers were afraid of him.  He made no effort to change their attitude towards him.  He had heard people talk about him behind his back.  His personal favorite rumor about himself was that he had gotten caught having sex with a teacher.

When Bright went on to explain his motives, Toota had already decided to tease him.  Did he really think he could make people do his bidding if he flashed his smile?  Toota was going to make him sweat.  Maybe working in pairs wasn't so bad after all.

********************

Toota smirked while leaving the noodle place.  Bright hadn't said anything he didn't know already.  It's not hard to guess that the worse thing to someone like Bright is looking heartbroken.  He could see Bright regret his words as he spoke.  Toota took his opportunity and went with his act.

"Ai Toota wait," Bright said, placing his hand on Toota's shoulder.

"What is it Ai Bright?  Do you want to go into details as to why our classmates don't like me?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know what happened to me.  I didn't mean to hurt you."

Toota smiled at Bright sadly, "It's alright, you were just stating the facts."

"Please don't say that.  Come on, let's discuss the project.  You can wrirte it, and I will present it.  I'm sorry I made a fuss.  Lunch is on me, okay?"

Midway through their meal, Toota handed Bright a list of books.

"Can you get these from the library?"

"I can only check out two books at a time."

"Ok, get the first two then."

"Should I bring them over to your place."

"NO!" Toota said a little too loudly, startling Bright.  "I mean we are not in such a hurry.  Get them in the morning."

His sudden outburst hadn't gone unnoticed.  "Ai Toota, is everything alright?"

"Yeah..."

"Where are we going to work on the project?  Your place or mine?" Bright asked again.

"We?  I thought I was going to do it alone."

"I can keep you company."

"Thank you, Ai Bright, but I don't need it."

"I think it will be fun."

"I don't think I can get anything done if you are around talking nonstop."  Toota couldn't understand why Bright had changed his mind that quickly.

"I can't let my partner work alone you know, it's not right."

"Are you suffering from short-term memory loss?  You didn't want to do anything at all remember?"

"Ok, my place it is," he replied smiling.

Before he could respond, a voice interrupted him.

"Ai Bright, we are late for football practice," said a classmate whose name Toota couldn't recall.

"I'm coming," Bright replied waving at his friend.  "I have to go, I will talk to you later."

Toota just stared after him.  When he decided he would make Bright work to earn his grade this wasn't what he had in mind.