The Hardest Case to Solve

The next morning, Sherlock woke up with his arms around Abigail. He slowly removed his hand from her waist. How did he get there? Maybe she asked him to sleep with her that night. But nothing happened, because they were fully clothed. He went downstairs to see if John had come around. Nope, John was nowhere in sight. It was weird because the three of them were agreed to meet up at the flat at seven in the morning to have breakfast. It was already eight-thirty. Something was wrong. Sherlock checked his phone. 5 missed calls and 1 text from John Watson.

Sherlock, I tried to call you but you didn't answer. Mary's gone into labour. Please come. Portland Hospital for Women and Children.

JW

Sherlock ran back upstairs and carried Abigail bridal style into the downstairs bathroom. "Sherlock, what are you doing?"

Sherlock put her down in front of the sink. "Get ready, we're going to the hospital. John's wife is giving birth."

When they got to the hospital, they found John pacing nervously in front of the room where Mary was in. John hugged Sherlock and Abigail. "Oh dear, I'm so worried. I don't know what to do with myself."

"John. Sit down. Everything is going to be fine." Abigail told him. The three of them sat down on the benches. "I'm going to get some crisps from the vending machine. Do you boys want anything?" Abigail added as she got up.

John shook his head. Sherlock turned to Abigail. "Nothing for me, love. Thanks."

"Love?" John asked when Abigail had gone. "Since when have you been calling women 'love'?"

"Since today." Sherlock replied.

"What happened between you two?" John told him.

"Well, when we came home last night, we kissed and the next morning I woke up next to her." Sherlock explained.

"Did you two have sex?" John asked, looking surprised.

"No." Sherlock replied. "Not yet."

"Sherlock stop this." John said. "Stop trying to make yourself feel things I know and you know you are incapable of. Is this some kind of experiment you're conducting to learn how to love?"

"I've always known how to love, John. I'm just good at not showing it." Sherlock explained.

John scoffed. "Give me one instance when you have felt "love"."

"When you told me I was your best friend, I knew I loved you. In a non-homosexual way, I assure you." Sherlock said. John brought him in for a hug. "See, I'm not just a robot."

Abigail came back and sat down beside Sherlock, not wanting to break their hug. "Aww..."

John turned to Abigail. "Abby, you better take care of this man, because he is the the cleverest and kindest man I have ever known. God knows what I will do to you if you break his heart."

"I won't hurt him, I promise." Abigail replied.

Sherlock put his arm around her and kissed her cheek. "I love you." He whispered in her ear.

Suddenly, the nurse came out and let them in. Mary sat in her bed holding a beautiful baby girl.

"What are you going to name her?" Abigail asked.

"Elizabeth." Mary replied. "And you must be Abigail."

"Yes, pleasure to meet you Mrs. Watson." Abigail said.

"Mary, please." Mary added. "Do you want to hold her?"

Abigail nodded back and Mary put the baby in her arms. She and Sherlock observed the baby.