Once a upon a dream (Short story)

Once a Upon a Dream

By: Liz Nahir

It wasn’t the first time I saw him. He has always been there haunting me since I can remember, watching me. For some strange reason he always appear at night, a little pass midnight to be more precise. I still remember the first time I saw him; I arrived at my apartment, a little drunk, after all it wasn’t every day I get to hang out with my girlfriends. I thought I was hallucinating, sometimes when you get intoxicated with alcohol you see things you are not supposed to.

Then a few days later I woke up scared, terrified by the same nightmare that also haunted me.

A castle was almost destroyed and the villages near where on fire, people were screaming pleading for their life’s, as some soldiers in horses kill them one by one, blood running like water in the paths, it was a gruesome sight.

I was running, my heart pumping like it wanted to get out of my chest; it was also getting hard to breathe so I stop and looked around to see if anyone has followed me but there was none. Then I heard slow footsteps and I slither down a slope, to hide myself.

“I know you here, Katerina.” I bent down and hugged my knees, and with my trembling hands hid the hem of my dress. Tears started falling down my cheeks.

It was funny how a nightmare could feel so real. How I could feel the heat of the fire and the metallic smell of blood of the bodies in the village. I wiped the tears away and walked to the kitchen to make myself some tea, and then I saw him beside the door of my apartment.  He was standing there in his metallic knight armor. I tried to ignore him but as every day that pass he would appear more often.

Once or twice I tried to talk to him, but he never answered, maybe you’ll think I’m crazy for not talking to anyone about him or for not going to a therapist but, what would you do?

Days, weeks and months pass and I didn’t see him again, until today. I was walking by the sidewalk on my way home. My headphones were blasting music and I was so relax that I didn’t noticed him walking my way, but what freak me out was that first, his armor was disappearing and second that it was the middle of the day. I looked around trying to shake the image, maybe it was time for me to go to a therapist. My thoughts were wild and I didn’t know what to. Should I turn and walk away? But what if? What if?  Clearly I didn’t do anything and in a blink of an eye, he was right in front of me.

His eyes were the color of fresh green apples. His straight, midnight black hair was messy and long. He was tall, with a masculine build. I think he noticed I was shaking him out, but what can you expect? Suddenly he took my hand in his and leaned in, I stared at him frozen in my spot. What was I supposed to do in this situation? But he tilted his head instead and whispered in my ear. “Follow me.”

He dragged me along with him, walking fast against the crown. He turned left and that’s where I stop walking.

“Where are we going? And who are you?” he rolled his eyes and ignored me and try to drag me again but I didn’t move. “I’m not going anywhere until you answer my questions.” I said letting go of his hand and crossing my arms. He looked around and then he sweeps me off my feet and started walking again.

“What the hell man? I’m going to scream if you don’t put me down this instant!” he ignored me and I start moving out of his strong grip. “Dammit Katerina!” he let me go and almost drop me to the floor, then he looked pass me and glared but when I was about too glanced back, he grabbed my hand and ran in to an ally.

“What happen? Are you finally going to answer me?” he glared at me. “What?” I ask confused. “Shut up for a minute, please.” He said. I glared at him and stared walking to the entrance of the ally to see what we were hiding from, but then he turned me around and pushed me against the wall.

“Would you please stay still and quite for a minute?” he asked, “No, until you tell me what it’s going on?” I glared back at him and out of nowhere he kissed me.

At first I was in shock, but what caught me out of guard was the way my body responded. I ran my hand through his hair and he took my hair in a fist and I felt his urge for more. He deepened the kiss urgently; his lips moved perfectly with mine, my heart beat so fast I feel like I was going to pass out.

Then it hit me, I was kissing a complete stranger, a stranger that feels so familiar, but it was still a stranger. I struggled to push him away, he opened his eyes and stared at me, and I just couldn’t look away.

“We need to go.” It was the only thing he said before we walked back to my apartment. 

Right now I was sitting in my bed, my head filled with questions. I knew he was in the living room, I could hear him pacing around.

I sighed, filling myself with courage I walked out of my room. He was standing by the front door, with his arms cross.

“What’s going on?” I asked, he glanced at me but didn’t say anything.

“I need you to tell me, what the hell is going on? Speak!” I said, he sighed. “I can only tell you with an order.” He said.

“Then, I order you.” I said.

“You are asleep.”

“What?” I asked confused.

“Your mother put you to sleep with a spell, you are dying. The only way this could be over is for you to wake up.” He said. I just stand there looking at him with shock. What’s this a joke?

“This is not funny, who are you?” I asked him and walked towards me, and he stop when he was only inches away from me.

“You know.”

“Henry.”

That name slithered out of my mouth without me noticing, He gives me a necklace and then he kissed my forehead.

“Goodbye, my lady.” He said.

Then a brilliant light blind me and I shield my eyes with my arms, but suddenly I heard voices but I couldn’t understand what they were saying. There are blurred images of faces peering down at me.

“Katerina, can you hear me?”

I waited until my vision was clear and to my dizziness to fade, and I noticed that I was in a hospital bed.

“Katerina, how are you feeling?” A doctor asked me, I glanced at him. Another doctor asked me if I knew my name.  “What happen?” I asked. A few nurses ran outside the room.

“You have been in coma for five years, we were going to disconnect you today, but your husband stops us and stayed with you until you woke up.”

My eyebrows raised in confusion. A Husband, did I heard wrong? I thought.

“I’ll call him in a moment, miss.” The doctor said and left.

What happened to me? Where is the guy who was following me everytime? Where am I? What the hell is going on? A husband? Questions filled my mind, drowning me in confusion.  

“Katerina…”

I glanced at the door disoriented with everything that is happening, but everything stops when I saw him, Henry, standing in the door way and in that instant I knew everything would be alright. 

He walked towards me and holded my hands, "Worry no more, my lady. We are going home." he whispered. "Where?" I asked. "Where we belong." he answered.

Author's note:

The inspiration for this short story was a weird dream i had a few weeks ago. Hope you like it! Don't forget to comment and vote! ^.^