Chapter 4

It's not too long before night falls upon us and we stop moving.

"We ain't goin' no further 'till we've had a breather!" And orc says to another.

"Get a fire going!" One orders.

Pippin crawls towards Merry while I stay in my spot, too afraid to move.

"Merry! Merry!"

"I think we might have made a mistake, leaving the Shire, Pippin."

As the orcs chop at the trees, low groans and rumbles can be heard from the forest behind us.

"What's making that noise?"

"It's the trees." Merry says.

"Yes, they're alive." I state.

"What?" Pippin asks then Merry continues.

"You remember the Old Forest? On the borders of Buckland? Folks used to say that there was something in the water that made the trees grow tall, and come alive."

"Alive?"

"Trees that could whisper, talk to each other. Even move."

"I'm starving. We ain't had nothing but maggoty bread for three stinking days!"

"Yeah! Why can't we have some meat?"

The orc looks over at us.

"What about them? They're fresh! Elf flesh is my favourite."

"They are not for eating!"

"What about their legs? They don't need those. Ooh! They look tasty!"

"Get back, scum! The prisoners go to Saruman. Alive and unspoiled."

"Alive? Why alive? Do they give good sport?"

"They have something. An Elvish weapon. The master wants it for the war."

"They think we have the Ring." Pippin whispers.

"Shhh! As soon as they find out we don't, we're dead." Merry says.

"Just a mouthful. A bit off the flank." The orc says. The "leader" Then cut his head clean off.

"Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!"

The Uruk-hai pile on the dead orc and begin to feed.

"Pippin, Y/n! let's go!"

I lead the way and we try to crawl away ,but Pippin is caught by one of the orcs.

"Go on, call for help. Squeal! No one's gonna save you now!" A spear pierces the orc's back. Riders burst out and attack the orcs.

"This way!" I call.

The hobbits follow me towards the forest. Suddenly Pippin turns and looks up at a pair of thrashing hooves bearing down on him.

"Argh!"

It is dawn. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are running.

"A red sun rises. Blood has been spilt this night." Legolas  says. The sound of horses is heard. The three hide. A large group of cavalry appear. Aragorn comes out of hiding as they pass, Legolas and Gimli behind him.

"Riders of Rohan! What news from the Mark?" Aragon calls out.

At a signal from the leader, the riders make a quick turn and head towards the three companions, encircling them. As they stop, they point their spears at them.

"What business does an elf, a man and a dwarf have in the Riddermark?" The leader asks. "Speak quickly!"

"Give me your name, horsemaster, and I shall give you mine." Gimli says. The man gets off his horse. Aragorn puts a hand on Gimli's shoulder.

"I would cut off your head — dwarf — if it stood but a little higher from the ground."

Legolas quickly aims an arrow at Èomer. "You would die before your stroke fell!"

Aragorn pushes down Legolas' arm. "I'm Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Gimli, son of Glóin, and Legolas, from the Woodland realm. We are friends of Rohan and of Théoden, your king."

"Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe." He says then removes his helmet. "Not even his own kin."The spears are withdrawn and he continues. "Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king and claimed lordship over this land. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished. The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked." He gives Legolas a meaningful look. "And everywhere his spies slip past our nets."

"We are no spies. We track a band of Uruk-hai westward across the plains. They have taken three of our friends captive." Aragorn says.

"The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night."

"But there were two hobbits and a she-elf, did you see anybody with them?" Gimli asks.

"They would be small, only children to your eyes. But the princess you may know of. She's princess Y/n of Lothlórien. Lady Galadriels daughter."

"Yes i know of who she is but we left none alive." The man replies. "We piled the carcasses and burned them." He Points to smoke in the distance.

"Dead?" Gimli asks surprised.

The man nods. "I am sorry."

"No, she can't be! They can't be! You must've see the princess! Her beauty is unbelievable. You couldn't have mistaken her for an orc!" Legolas shouts.

"Legolas.." Aragorn rests his hand on Legolas' shoulder.

The leader whistles."Hasufel! Arod!" Two horses appear. "May these horses bear you to better fortune than the former masters. Farewell." He mounts his horse. "Look for your friends, but do not trust the hope. It has forsaken these lands. We ride north!"

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli look on as the Riders depart then ride towards the burning carcasses. Gimli starts to go through the pile and pulls out a charred belt.

"It's one of their little belts."

"No no no no no! She's not dead! This must be a trick!"

Aragorn kicks at an orc helmet. He yells as he falls to his knees.

"We failed them." Gimli says.

Aragorn looks to the side and tracks catch his attention.

Aragorn: "A Hobbit lay here, and the other. Along with an elf."

Pippin yells as he looks up at a pair of thrashing hooves bearing down on him. He rolls over, avoiding them.

"They crawled." Aragorn continues. He starts to follow the tracks, with Legolas and Gimli behind him.

Merry, Y/n, and Pippin crawl away from the battle.

"Their hands were bound."

Pippin rubs his bonds against an axe.

"Their bonds were cut." Aragorn holds up a broken rope. "They ran over here… and were followed."

The hobbits follow Y/n and run away from the battle, dodging under a horse.

As they flee, an orc grabs Pippin by his belt.

"The belt! Run!" Merry yells.

Pippin undoes his belt and the hobbits run off into the trees to find you.

"The tracks lead away from the battle! Into… Fangorn Forest." The three look up into a very dense forest.

"Fangorn! What madness drove them in there?" Gimli says.