Chapter 1

The nun ran into the room with a hopeful smile on her face.
"Matty!"
Her grin quickly faded after taking a better look at the badly bruised boy. "You said he was awake."

The other nun, Katherine, stood up and placed her two fingers on his wrist, checking his pulse.
"I'm sorry Maggie... I thought I saw his hand move."

Maggie sighed and placed her hand on Matt's mangled leg.
"Sister... it's been almost a week. He must be in a coma, I think we might need to take him to a real hospital."

Katherine shook her head, "Only the lord can save him. All we can do is pray."

A single tear rolled down Maggie's cheek. As much as she wanted to believe, she knew that Matt needed a lot more than just faith to keep him alive.

Meanwhile in Hell's Kitchen

Karen was laying on her couch with her eyes blankly directed at the television screen, when she heard a knock at the door. She sighed and slowly stood up, wrapped a blanket around her shoulders, and headed for the door. She opened it without a word and Foggy walked in.
He looked as good as ever. He had a finely pressed grey suit on and his hair was slicked back. He never did his hair like that at the old law firm.

He gave her a weak smile, "How are you doing?"

She shrugged, her eyes were red and puffy. The messy bun that was once on top of her head, had fallen to the side.

Foggy glanced at the numerous empty beer cans on her coffee table. "Rough night?"

Embarrassed, she quickly picked up the cans and put them in the recyclable bin.

"Jeez Karen, when was the last time you slept? Have you just been watching the news all week?"

She rolled her eyes, "If you're just here to judge me, you can leave."

"I'm not judging you, I'm just worried! What you're doing isn't going to bring him back. It's been over a week..."

She ran her hand through her hair and the pony tail holding it up fell to the floor. "Exactly Foggy! It's been more than a week, and nothing!" She pointed to the tv. "There's no news. They didn't find a body... there's no evidence he was even down there... maybe he's fine... maybe he's just... maybe there is still hope!" Tears were streaming down his face at this point.

"It's false hope Karen!"
He took a deep breath and tried to calm down. "A building..." He wiped the newly formed tears from his eyes. "An entire building fell on him... you don't just come back from that."

He sat down on her couch and Karen plopped down next to him, resting her head on his shoulder.
"I know." She whispered, finally admitting the inevitable.
They sat in silence for a minute or two, staring at the tv.

"You know he really cared about you, Karen..."

She sat up and nodded.

"He hated lying to you, he just wanted to protect you."

"I know he did. I cared about him too... I just wish we could have ended on a better note-"

"Breaking News!" The TV spoke.

The pair turned their attention to the screen.

"We're here live in Midtown, New York, at the sight of what used to be Midland Circle. First responders and emergency service workers have finished searching through the debris and there is no evidence of neighborhood vigilante "Daredevil," who was said to be inside the building at the time of the explosion."

Karen stood up and started pacing, Foggy couldn't remove his eyes from the screen.

"Said vigilante is one of two people still considered missing from that night. The other is local pro-bono lawyer, Matthew Murdock. Neither of these men have been seen since the night of the incident and are considered missing people. If you have any information about the whereabouts of these individuals, please contact local authorities. That's all the information we have here, back to Bill at the studio."

The two stared at each other with disbelief, "So what does this mean?"