The Gunman

The students were cornered, no where to run, to the left was just a line of windows, to the right was just a wall, each way was blocked by their attacker who had closed on them too much to be able to rush by him, there was no escape route. Their attacker had gotten them. The man, tall, wearing a black trench-coat, shirt, and pants, with combat boots, raised his jet-black 9 mm up, light glinting off of it's shiny surface as it is raised, and aimed directly at the two students, the cylindrical silencer still smoking from the shots fired into his last victims who lay dead on the floor behind him, a student and a teacher, a pool of deep, red blood forming around them, flowing from bullet holes in their bodies, a bullet scoring the teacher's forehead dead-center, she didn't feel a thing.

  A grin grew across the man's face, he had finally done it, they were cornered, his mission would soon be a success. He wanted to savor the moment. "which one of you will be first,?" He said, taunting them. He teasingly waved the gun back and forth between them.  The couple looked into eachother's eyes, "I love you"  to each other. The boy knew what he had to do. He pulled the girl around him, using himself as a shield. " You'll just have to pick me." He said, his expression emotionless, unwavering. The assailant's smile dropped. Why is he so confident? He thought to himself. He's about to die, and he's acting like he's already won! Well, he's not going to ruin MY fun! The gunman grew serious, straightening his arm, aiming down his sights to the center of the boy's forehead. The boy swallowed hard, he blinked, and said his last prayer. "What are you waiting for? DO IT!" He yelled straight in the gunman's face. The attacker smiled. "this is going to be more satisfying than I thought." He wrapped his finger around the trigger, poised to fire a round straight into the boy's skull. He aimed down his sights. He chuckled. "Goodbye you piece of shi-" He tightened his grip on the pistol, pulling the trigger. *tck* There was silence. The man's smile dropped. *tck* *tck* *tck* He pulled the trigger again and again, with no prevail. It was jammed.

  The world seemed to slow to the gunman, as the realization hit him. Before he had time to so much as curse himself, the realization hit the boy as well. His fear was replaced by rage uncountable times over. His expressing grew from resilience to pure rage. The boy clenched his fist, and punched the gun as hard as he could. The silencer flew off, broken and cracked. The boy sees, out of the corner of his eye, the jammed bullet fly out of the chamber, the gun, ready to fire. The gunman is too shocked, his eyes locked on the boy's, to notice.

  The boy grips the man around the neck as hard as he can with his left hand, even lifting the man off the ground. He leaves him there, struggling to breath, the boy can see fear in the man's eyes. The boy, then,  pulls his fist back and punches the man as hard as he can, square in the face. The man flies backward, blood flying from his mouth, spinning around and flying face-first into the corner of a wall.

  "You kill my fellow students... You threaten the life of the only person I truly care about..." The boy says as he grips the man's hair, and slams his face into the corner 3 times, repeatedly.

  The man slides down the wall, beaten, blood trailing down it the whole way. The man spits blood and teeth out of his mouth onto the floor beside him. The girl stares in shock at her man being so ruthless, she had never seem him this way before.

  "I-...m sorreh" He says, his speech slurred through the blood, pain and lost teeth.

  The boy bends down next to him, getting to his level.

  "Well that FUCKING brings them back, doesn't it?! Everythings FUCKING FINE! Nobody's hurt, everyones perfectly fine and holding hands and DANCING IN A FUCKING CIRCLE!" He screams as he knees the mans head into the wall one more time as hard as he could.

  The man falls over on the floor, groaning in pain,barely consious, his face bloody. His eye is swelling, both lips are busted in mirrored spots on his mouth where his face was smashed into the wall. His noses is beant at an unnatural angle. Broken. His mouth, missing a few teeth.

  "Pleath... doe kill meh" He says, is speech barely understandable.

  "You didn't listen to THEM now DID YOU!" The boy screams as he starts kicking him in his side, hard.

  The man turns on his side towards the boy, not by choice, but from the force of the kicking. He kicks him in the gut faster and faster against the wall. Finally, as the boy's anger reaches it's peak, he rushes over, and picks up the gun.

  "buh..." the man whimpers. "Ih'th ja-" He stops himself in horror, seeing the bullet laying on the ground next to the boy.

  *bang* *bang* *bang* The boy fires the gun 3 times into the wall above the man, the sound deafening with the silencer no longer attached to suppress it.

  "DOES IT SOUND FUCKING JAMMED!?" He screams, aiming the gun straight down the sights at the man's head, his hand shaking with rage.

  His finger goes to the trigger, his anger blinding his better judgment.

  "No! Don't do it!" The girl yells, huddled in the corner, but his thoughts are clouded by his rage. He can't even hear her.

  "Your not a killer! NO!" The girl screams, running toward the boy.

  The boy slowly tightens his grip around the trigger, he is about to fire when...

  "Put down the gun!" A police officer has rushed around the corner and is aiming a gun at the boy. "This is your last warning! PUT DOWN THE GUN!".

  The boy snaps out of his rage. He blinks, coming back to reality. His eyes widen, and he quickly turns his head to the officer, dropping the gun and the boy puts his hands up. The gun clatters to the floor. The girl rushes over to her closest companion, and they both walk slowly to the police officers, and quickly explain what happened, but the officer keeps his pistol pointed at them, still unsure what to think.

  "He did this!" The girl yelled, Pointing to the man, just in time to see the man gripping his pistol that was dropped next to the him on the floor in panic.

  The officer quickly fixes his aim at the man.

  "PUT IT DOWN, NOW" The officer shouted, one final warning.

  The man had nothing to loose, he was going to jail, for a long, long time. He wouldn't make it in there,  he would rather die. The man quickly jolted up to his knees, hunched over in pain from his bruised gut, and raised the pistol at the group standing down the hallway, about to pull the trigger.  The boy and girl hold each other close, their eyes shut tight. *BANG* A shot rang out, it seemed louder than all the rest. There was a silence, then, a thud. The boy and girl opened their eyes. they were okay, they looked around, frantically, trying to see what had happened. Sitting there, holding his pistol raised and aimed at his defeated adversary, the barrel smoking from the freshly fired gun barrel, a bullet casing dropping beside him... was the police officer.

  The man laid dead on the floor, blood rushing from a fresh bullet hole in the man's head. The look of excitement fell off of the officer's face, it was over, he put his gun in his holster, and looked at the two.

"Are you okay?" He says in a soft voice.

*Note: This was inspired by my friend, Upirlover's story, the credit goes to her great story for inspiring me to write this.*