Chapter 4

"So what is appropriate for a Led Zeppelin concert?" she asked as we walked into my house. "Hello, Susan." my mom welcomed us at the door giving me a kiss. "Hello." she smiled awkwardly. I snickered toward her. "Dad's not home yet?" "Not yet. He'll be here by the time you leave, sweetie. Are you two hungry for anything?" my mom asked. "Not really. Thanks." Susan smiled. "You don't want anything?" I asked. "Not right now." she shrugged. "Okay. Come on. Let's go pick out some clothes to wear to the show." I skipped to my bedroom and she followed.
"Alright. What not to wear: dresses, and super girly things. Exhibit A." I pointed to myself. "You do not want to out dress Robert." I pointed as she sat on my floor, popping in a record to listen to. She snickered, "Of course. So what do we wear?" "What to wear: no band tee shirts unless they're Led Zeppelin. Hippie shirts are acceptable as long as they don't out dress Jimmy. Tee shirts are also permitted, and school tee shirts are for squares. Now for pants: jeans and only jeans. Preferably bell bottom or hipster pants since that's what everyone's into these days." I threw some jeans and a nice flowy, hippie-like shirt onto my bed.
"Now, let's get something out for you." I said turning to her. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" "You're wearing a blouse. It's too girly." I narrowed my eyes. "Fine." she narrowed hers back. "Let's find you something comfortable." "My jeans and shirt should still be in there somewhere. See if you can spot them..." she looked into my closet. "Found them!" She announced. "What do you think? Suitable for a Led Zeppelin show?" "Perfection." I closed my eyes and kissed my closed finger tips.
We both got dressed and grabbed the concert tickets.
"Now what?" she asked as we were lying on the floor half way through the White Album. "We can eat. I'm driving. I need my nutrients." I chuckled. "Sure." she rolled over and got up.
After we ate dinner it was finally time to leave.
I still couldn't believe that I, a random girl out of millions, from the year 2012, was on my way to see the legendary Led Zeppelin.
The minute I started the car I turned on the radio. "If you even hear the word 'led' change the station." I told Susan. "Why?" "Unless you want this car to literally rock and roll, you will change the station." "But what if you like the song?" "Then changing the station would really be in your favor." I laughed. "Whatever you say." "I got it bad." "You really do."
About thirty minutes we were finally out of town. "You need coolin'! Woman, I ain't foolin'! All in good time something something misusin'!" I sang shouting. "We're coming up to a stop light. Are you really going to do that the whole way, Madeline?" Susan asked. "I might." I said a little embarrassed. "Well, teach me the songs then! I'm feeling left out!" Susan laughed. I turned to her with the biggest grin I could ever produce.
Another 30 minutes later she already knew half of Stairway to Heaven. I wish I could take this girl to the future with me, better yet, I wish I could stay here forever.
"Ugh, Susan, are you sure this isn't a dream?" "I'm sure. You see the tickets don't you?" she pulled them out of her pocket. "This is so surreal. I've been waiting my whole life to see these guys and now that I have the chance..." I started biting my lip trying not to cry. "Madeline, I love you, and I understand how you feel, but please don't cry, especially considering the fact that you're driving." "Sorry. I'm sorry." I wiped the warm tears from my eyes praying that it wasn't just a dream. "It's okay." "It's just...my whole life Susan. The chance wasn't there before." I said. She just frowned confused. "This band is really special to you aren't they?" "They are." I sighed.
"Just one more hour." she smiled. "Man..." I looked out into the road ahead.
As I drove I became anxious, but I refused to stop for rest.
The sky began to grow orange. I looked around frantically for a moment hoping it wouldn't turn purple and send me back to the present. "Maddi. Maddi? Calm down." Susan said. "What? Sorry. I thought I saw a fly." "I don't see..." Susan began to look around the car. "My eyes must be playing tricks on me." I smiled driving down the old roads of 1969.
We arrived to the venue in less time than expected. I began to tremble seeing how very few cars were here. "I can't do it." I looked at Susan. "Now wait a minute. You said you've been waiting your whole life to see these guys...and suddenly you can't do it?" "No. I can't. My whole entire life, Susan. I mean, I might die if I go in there." "I think it's worth it. Come on." she smiled hopping out of the car. "Let's go meet Jimmy." she opened my door. "No!" "Yes! Come on!" "No!" I shouted as she tugged at my arm and we began making our way to the hall.
"This better not be some stupid tribute--" I began to make strange noises the moment I saw a legitimate Led Zeppelin poster for today's concert. I looked over at Susan as I pointed at it. "Stop that." she was giving me a look. "But--" "Come on." "Can I take it home?" "Before we leave, I say grab it." she smiled. "Yes!" I skipped to the door.
"Can we go inside yet?" I asked holding my ticket to the usher at the door. "No. They're in a sound check at the moment." "Please? I've never seen a sound check before." "Sorry. I can't let you in." "I see people in there. What'd they do? Slip you a five?" "What? What are you talking about?" "Look. I didn't bring any extra money, but if you are taking it, I can snitch on you if you don't let me inside now. I paid for my ticket, now, let me in." "You're bluffing." "Does this face look like it is bluffing?" I asked psychotically. "That is my future husband in there! And I demand to see him! Right! Now!" I shouted loudly.
I swore I heard Robert chuckle into the microphone as he sang. Was I really that loud? However, I held my baring.
"Go ahead. Just know, you are a freak." "I don't give a fuck." I uttered loud enough for him to hear me as I walked in.
"Stop swearing so much." Susan chortled. "I'm sorry. It was perfect." I laughed.
We made our way to the front. There were only a couple seats left from all the girls that paid extra to get in.
I watched as Robert put his microphone back in its holder, then a man came up to talk to him.
I felt faint.
That was really Robert Plant. The facial features were perfect! His blue eyes nearly hidden under his curly, blond hair as the rest of it wrapped around his head and hung around his chin, but not too far from his shoulders. His nose and chin were just as I had seen in photographs. This was really him! And he couldn't have looked more gorgeous in all black making him look tall and very slim. I could swear I was drooling.
It was Robert Plant.
"Mad? Mad, are you okay?" "Yeh." I responded following Robert with my eyes as he walked off stage. I noticed Susan had her arm around me, "I think you were about to faint for a moment." she said, "Are you sure you're okay?" "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just-that is Robert Plant." "He is pretty handsome, I guess. Where's Jimmy?" she asked taking her arm back. "He's not on stage, I don't think." I replied.
After Robert left the stage he didn't come back for a few minutes. I checked my watch. There were about ten minutes left before the show started. "Rob, Jim, John! We're gonna have one last sound check!" a man shouted.
I had to take a step back to keep myself from falling. "Maddie, I think you should sit down." "No. I'm fine." she gave me a look. "I am." I smiled.
"Which one was Jimmy you said?" "The one with black hair."
Jimmy's hair was hanging over his face to where one couldn't see it. "I can't even see his face." she frowned. "Jim!" I shouted. "Maddie!" Susan looked at me with round eyes. "Ey?" he looked up moving the hair out of his face. I smiled and waved at him and he grinned back with a wave. "Oh, God." "No, no, no. Calm down. He's cute, but please, don't faint." "Okay, okay. Susan! He just grinned at me! Jimmy Page just grinned at me! If only I had a camera." I uttered. Susan just giggled as we noticed Jimmy nudge Robert after the moment. "I think they're talking about you--don't faint." "I won't. I got myself together. Quit worrying." I said. "Well after three times, I don't think I have a choice."
I chuckled.
"So um, the concert should begin in just a few minutes..." Robert began with his gorgeous English accent. Before I knew it, there were a lot of people behind me, almost over a hundred, but it was 1969 and they're debut album hadn't been released yet, so it was understandable. "Pretty ladies in the front; please don't shout at us while we play..." Robert looked directly at me. My eyes grew wide and I grinned just as widely. "In between songs however would be alright." he smiled back, "We'll be back out in a few minutes to play for you, and I'd like to thank you all for coming." Robert walked away from the microphone.
"Susan! Su--" she covered my mouth. "He recognized me!" I continued. "I know. In fact...the whole place probably has too..." "Do you--" I moved her hand, "Do you think we can meet them?" "Sure. Why not? They already know you, just as long as we get home on time." "Yeah. You sound so embarrassed. Lighten up." I smiled. "That was embarrassing!" "How? When two amazing looking guys acknowledged our presence?" "Maddie, you are something else." Susan shook her head.
The show started and I began to second guess picking seats at the front row. The moment the instruments began playing I was almost literally blown out of my place.
After the first song there was a lot of cheering. "Robert!" I called out as loud as I could, several times actually. He finally looked at me chuckling after speaking, "I was listening for you specifically." he pointed at me. A lot of girls turned to look at me then back at Robert. I laughed then smiled at him. His eyes locked with mine for a short moment then got back to the crowd.
Whoa. The way he looked at me. This must have been a dream. Now I had to meet Robert.
After about nine songs that totaled nearly two hours, the fans began to clear out. Susan began to move me along, but I had to talk to Robert. I wanted to know this was real. Right before the show ended he didn't even glance at me, he gave me a sad stare, like he wanted to meet me too, but most likely wasn't going to be able to. Maybe I was delusional, but either way, I was going to meet Robert. "Wait." I said.