Chapter 21

(Zach ^)

Shale

"As proud of you as I am, do we have to talk to any more people today," I groan, slamming my head against his hard chest as we swayed to the music.

I hear his chuckle, moments before his lips meet my head in a gentle, affectionate kiss.

"Sadly we do, but tonight..." he says suggestively, causing my o pull back and look at him with raised eyebrows.

"Um, no, because my sister is here and sleeping at my house," I smirk, causing his face to fall.

"But...that's not fair! Shale," he whines like a child. "Tonight is my special night, and I need you," he says, pulling me closer to him.

"Well, then you'll just have to wait until tomorrow night...oh wait, Dravin will still be here. So how about, in three days?"

"Ugh, Shale, you're killing me," he groans, leaning his forehead against mine, his face in a permanent pout.

"I'm just messing with you. She can stay at my house, while o go over to your tonight, but tomorrow night, and the day after that, I need to spend with her. Then, we can discuss our new housing arrangements," I say, causing is head to jerk up as he look as me happily.

"Great, so she can help you pack while she's here?" he asks hopefully.

"Hah, maybe," I laugh, standing up on my tiptoes to kiss him.

***

"So I see you've gotten along just fine in New York," Dravin says, eyeing Cole as he talks to some other businessmen.

"Yeah," I say softly, watching him

His eyes flick up to meet mine and offers me a breathtaking smile to which I return, ignoring my heart's stutter. I turn back to look at Dravin and find her face in a permanent smirk.

"You really like him, don't you?"

"Of course I do! I love him. He asked me to move in with him earlier..."

"Ohmygod!" she yells out in a rush, causing people to turn around and look at her disapprovingly. "When are you moving in?"

"As soon as your fat ass leaves my apartment," I laugh, causing her to let out a sharp gasp.

"Hey, I happen to love my fat ass, thank you very much! It helps me score some hot dates."

"Well, have you scored any lasting hot dates?" I inquire, taking a sip of champagne.

"Ugh, no! They're all jackasses," she says, rolling her eyes.

"Well, I'm sure you'll find someone, I mean look at you..."

"I know, I'm flawless, like Beyoncé," she chuckles. "Where is our heavy metal loving friend?" she asks, randomly.

"In Syria," I whisper, not meeting eye contact.

"What!"

"She got deployed again..."

"What the actual fuck! Why the hell didn't she tell anyone?"

"I think it was easier for her, to know that no one knew where she was. She's worried that she won't make it back, and leave everyone here hung up over her death..."

"That bastard," Dravin murmurs, but her eyes are glistening with tears. "What makes her think her life is that important to the rest of us?"

"Dravin!"

"I know, I know, I'm just kidding. I'm trying to get over the fact that she didn't even tell me. I swear when she gets back, I'm going to kill her," she growls, though I can tell she's as sad about it as I am. "How long?"