Ahimsa: In the Light of the 'Geeta'

‘Shrimad Bhagavad Geeta’ is the oldest and the first scripture of the world because it is the systematically scribed primordial knowledge enunciated by Lord Shri Krishna. The Lord has Himself declared it to be a scripture-‘EtiGuhyatamam Shastramidmuktam Mayanagha.’(Geeta, 15/20)- “This most occult unraveled Shastra (scripture) has been revealed by Me.” After knowing it you would know all and would attain the cherished goal, the eternal life. So the Geeta is your real scripture. It has been transmitted at first on earth. In India at Kurukshetra it was retransmitted. Thus we find it to be the oldest and the only scripture containing complete and perfect all encompassing knowledge of the world. Whenever people forgot it, they found themselves in hot water. When it reappeared, it removed confusion and disorders.

 When the armies of Kauravas and Pandavas took position in the battle-field of Kurukshetra, Arjun said, “O, Keshav! Kindly take my chariot in between the two armies so that I could see against whom I have to fight.” As soon as Arjun inspected the armies, he became nervous. He said, “O, Lord! I would not fight such battle in which I have to kill my own brothers. Such a battle is sinful and contrary to the religion.” He said the duty towards family is supreme and Sanatan-‘Kuldharmah Sanatanah.’ “If I fight, the Sanatan (eternal) religion would be demolished and subverted.‘Jatidharmashch Shasvatah’ The women of the families would be polluted and would bear crossbred issues who are meant for pushing the family to hell as a result of which the rituals of Pindodak would be adversely affected, the forefathers would then remain unfed and hungry.” In this way he started placing logical arguments against the battle.

 Arjun said that though they were intelligent persons, still they were heading towards committing sin and annihilating the whole family just for royal luxuries and kingdom. Why should they not find out ways to escape from such a monstrous sin. He further submitted that not only he but Lord Krishna was also going to commit mistake. Thus he blamed the Lord also. He did not seem himself inferior to Lord Krishna at this stage. He had in his mind that he was superior to Lord Krishna also in the skill of archery. He tried to convince that they should not behave like the Kauravas. After saying so he relinquishing his bow and arrows took a seat in the rear portion of the chariot.

 According to Arjun he was following the path of Ahimsa because he wanted to save millions of people from death but the Lord Krishna said, “If you do not take part in this religious war, you would lose your Swadharm (your bounden duty) reputation and name and would thus commit sin.” Arjun says that it is sin to take part in the battle which would lead to sin. They are two contrary views. Now we should examine what is Ahimsa?

 The Lord Krishna says, “Arjun! Wise persons do not weep for those who are dead, because just as childhood, youth, adult and old ages are the four stages which a living creature achieves, so he achieves other bodies also. After quitting one body next body is readily achieved. After one stage another stage follows. So wise persons do not grieve for death.

 Arjun! The physical body is mortal and has no substantial existence. Only soul is the truth. Since physical body is transitory and mortal, so you rise up and take part in the battle.”

 Lord Krishna throughout the Geeta justifies battle because the physical body was bound to decay. For this very reason he inspired Arjun to fight. Does it mean that the physical bodies of the Pandavas and their followers were not mortal? Infact half of the real-blood-relatives were in opposition. All of them were closely related. By the exhortations of the Lord, It is not clear that Arjun should kill only the Kauravas, he was expected to kill all the physical bodies where ever he found them.