Chapter 1

Murphy's POV

Age: 10 years old

Location: USA, Florida

"Newton, what is that?" I asked my older brother while pointing at a small school of fish that swam around me. "They look really small." I said and he nodded splashing around the water, I smacked him on the back of the head. "Leave them alone, you jerk!" I said jumping onto his back, pushing us both into the water.

"Murphy! Newton!" I hear our dad call before we hit the water, we both rise up and looked at our dad with our mom. "Sweetie, come with us!" Our mom called as they were a bit deeper in the ocean. "Come on, Murph." My brother said grabbing my hand and we start moving to them. Suddenly the ground shook and we stopped walking, I looked back at my parents to see a dark shadow behind them, my brother pulled me behind him and the shadow stood even taller.

"Mom! Dad!" Newton and I screamed, our parents looked behind them to see the monster grab both of our parents with its claws. "No!" I screamed at it, the monster screeched as it throws my parents over its shoulders. "Murphy, we have to go!" Newton yelled to me and started pulling my hand, we both quickly start running off the water and into the land.

Once we got there, we hid under some rocks as the monster starts to attack.

The day I lost my parents, was the day the Kaiju attacked, the day we've mourn than thousands of our people. The day I lost my parents, was the day I decided to become a scientist that specializes in Kaiju with my brother. The Jaeger program actually wanted us both to join them, since we did have 63 kills, but we were gentle people, we never liked fighting. Occasionally I did get physical, but only when I had to, our program had us train since we were kids in any type of combat, I managed to pass all of them and Newton managed to pass only mental combat.

Never did I knew that I would end up working for the man who saved my brother and I from the rubble. Never did I knew I'd fall in love with his son, I also never thought that I'd lose him like I lost my parents.

10 years later...

"So as you can see, my brother and I have done the simulator test for the Jaeger program, but we didn't want to be a part of violence

"So as you can see, my brother and I have done the simulator test for the Jaeger program, but we didn't want to be a part of violence. So, why are you here?" I asked Marshall Pentecost as my brother sits next to me. "Pilot Herc seems to think you both are for this job." He answered looking at our board filled with endless equations and theories. "We haven't spoken to him in nearly two years." Newton said to Marshall. "Yes, he's told me." Marshall said and I crossed my arms.

"Murphy, you in particular, are my interest." He added and I glanced at Newton who shrugged. "You've done the drift before with your brother, but I'd would like to see you try it with someone else." He said and I nodded telling him to go on. "And I'd like you to be there when I find a new recruit, you can do the drift, and if you don't like it, you'll be in the lab with your brother." He explained and I looked at Newton. "In the meanwhile, you'll be in our facility in Hong Kong with your brother, there is where Hansen will train you a bit further on our updated Jaeger." He finished walking towards and I looked up at him.

"We need you both there." He added and I let out a sigh, uncrossing my arms. "Fine, we'll go, but in one condition." I said getting up and Newton did the same. "Name it." Marshall said and I looked at my brother again, then back at Marshall. "Newton needs a full healthcare coverage, he needs his anxiety meds along with his inhaler when he needs it,  and he gets full access, he needs to be there when I need him." I said listing it off, I really didn't want anything, my brother is the one who needed it.

"Already done." He said and I couldn't help but smile, I hugged him tightly and he let out a sigh hugging back. When Herc found my brother and I was scared and alone, Marshall helped us, financially and many other ways, he helped both of us get into college and he was like an uncle to us.

"We should get going, Hansen is already waiting over there." Marshall said as we pulled away and I nodded.

"Whoa, is that the Gipsy Jaeger?" I asked Mako and she nodded smiling

"Whoa, is that the Gipsy Jaeger?" I asked Mako and she nodded smiling. "We are hoping for you and your recruit to bring this nuclear based Jaeger back to combat." She said and I feel someone bump into me, I almost fell forward, but the person managed to hold me. "Oh!" "Sorry." The familiar voice said, I turn my head and see the familiar face. "Herc!" I said hugging him and he lifted me off the ground joy in his laugh.

"Oh my god! You've grown!" He said happily and I chuckled as he set me down. "Your hair got better from my haircut." He said cupping one of my cheeks and I nodded smiling. "I'll never go that short ever again." I joked and he nodded pulling away, then Chuck popped up behind him. "Do you know where-" He cut himself off when he saw me, and he looked surprised.

"Oh, my, Muppet, it's been long." Chuck said as he stood in front of me, amazed at me. "Nice seeing you again, beaver." I said and he stuck out his hand for me to shake, I was surprised at him, but I shook it anyway. "Hansen, I'll show you to your room." Mako said to Chuck as we pulled away and he walked off with Mako, I turn my back to him and faced Herc.

"I don't think he's over that crush." He joked and I chuckled looking up at the Gipsy Jaeger. "Yeah, that junior high kiss made him think differently." He added and I looked back at him surprised. "He's got a diary." He whispered and I laughed loudly. "Here I was thinking that I was too ugly to be noticed." I said and he shook his head. "Oh come on, you're adorable, and you still are." He said putting his hand on my shoulder and I let out a sigh.

"Come on, your room is right across from Chuck's." He said and I nodded.

A few minutes later of talking and walking, we went our separate ways and I got to my room.

"Muppet." I hear Chuck say, I turned around to find him at the bottom of the stairs while I was on top. "Beaver." I said and he let out a chuckle. "Um, I was wondering if you wanted to have dinner with me." He asked and I felt lost at words. "Is Chuck Hansen asking me out on a date?" I asked him smiling and he smiled nodding.

"When?" I asked him and his eyes lit up. "Tonight, at eight?" He suggested and I nodded still with a smile. "I'll see you then." I said going inside my room, I closed the door behind me and looked through the peephole to see Chuck throw his fist up. A soldier passed by him and he put his hand down acting like he was just looking at his hand. A quiet chuckle escaped my mouth and I let out a deep breath.