Chapter 12

Shoutouts to Invisible_Mitt and time-twilight1989 for commenting on and voting for almost every chapter!

A few days after Caesar was taken to the shelter, we went to see him. They had him in a small cage where we could see him.

"Hey, Caesar." I said.

Then, I noticed that he had a wound on his hand. I looked back at who I guessed was Landon's son, who was looking at me like a hunk of meat.

"Are you hurt?" I mumbled. "Give me your hand, show me."

Reluctantly, he held out his hand for me to see. "Sometimes the new kid on the block gets picked on," Landon's son said. Ugh.

My eyes trailed down to his belt, which had a red stun gun hanging from it.

"That's bull!" I said, getting up and shoving him into the wall. He looked shocked by my strength. He pushes on my chest, pushing me off.

"What's the problem?" Landon asked irritatedly.

Dad grabbed the key from a peg. "We're taking him out of here, right now."

Landon snatched the keys from him. "Not without a court order, you're not. He's not yours anymore."

"I promise, if I found out he's being mistreated in any way, I will have this place shut down." Dad said through gritted teeth.

Landon's son, Dodge, looked at me up and down. "You're pretty hot for a Rexi. People could do all types of things to you, since you don't don't weigh that much." (I'm sorry but I barfed writing this)

I backed away.

"I think this visit's over," Landon was saying.

"C'mon, Mandy." Dad said.

"Bye, Rexi!" Dodge called.

I flipped him off.

|-/

I sighed as I turned the knob to my bathroom. I was surprised to see a red-haired girl sitting on the toilet seat.

Emma.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, quickly shutting the door behind me.

"What were you doing? You didn't reply to my texts."

My voice faltered. "I...I was visiting Caesar," Her face dropped. "I'm so sorry."

She stood up and went over to the counter, picking up my towel. She played with my razor blade in her hand before pulling down her pants and cutting her thigh. Blood poured out.

"What the he-" I cried, grabbing the blade from her.

"Why do you do this to yourself?" She asked. I went silent. She snatched the blade back and cut her other leg.

"Just stop!" I yelled. I slid down on the tile floor, tears running down my cheeks.

"I hate life," I told her. "That's why. I had to take antidepressants and bipolar pills for my entire life. And my grandpa's dying, Caesar's gone, and everyone calls me freaky, dykey, or anorexic!"

She was silent, so I looked up. She looked at me, then leaned forward so her forehead was touching mine. "I-" I began.

Then, she kissed me.