Doug and Jay (kinda devie kinda not)

Writer MysticNature: sorry it's so short, again it's an alternate version of a chapter from my book, "What's Next (Devie)" Also feel free to request!
-------------------------------------------------------

Dougs POV

Evie and Lonnie left the dorm, leaving me with Jay. Great.

"I guess I can finish measuring you." I looked at the binder. Not much was left, mostly checking that they are correct.

"You really love Evie don't you?" Jay asked me.

I chuckled. "If I didn't, I don't deserve her."

"How does that work?" Jay asked. "Like you just saw her and was like- I'm spending the rest of my life with her."

I closed the binder and set the measuring tape on the rack. Jay leaned against the desk.

"Not really, when I saw Evie, I thought I wasn't going to be able to say a word to her." I told him. "The chemistry class happened by luck."

"So when did you realize? Is it like a feeling?"

"That's a word for it," I smiled. "I realized when Evie realized she was something more than just a face. Seeing her light up was the best feeling in the world and she thrived to do better."

"What did it feel like?" Jay asked

I thought for a bit. "It's not real love if you can explain how you feel."

"Thanks Doug, for keeping Evie safe. I admit, I was a bit spectacle when I met you."

I WAS RIGHT! JAY NEVER LIKED ME!

"But after seeing how Chad treated her and just hearing Evie ramble on about you, I had a feeling I was going to like you. You have been so nice to us. The whole time since we came here. Thank you so much. It's relieving to know that I don't have to look out for her as much now."

He patted me on the back. "Thanks Jay,"

"But if you do hurt her-"

I put my hand up and stopped him. "Why would I hurt her?"

Jay thought. "Touché,"

"I'll see you later," I opened the door and Evie was talking Lonnie.

"Hey girls," Jay leaned against the door frame.

I rolled my eyes and moved out of Evie's way. She looked around. "Place isn't a mess,"

"Why would it be?" Jay and I asked

Evie looked at me. "I was right?"

I nodded, "Maybe."