| 04: SHE WEARS RED FEATHERS

CHAPTER FOUR:
SHE WEARS RED FEATHERS

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○

     A very common misconception about Hawaii is that everyone, all the time, goes to luaus. Luaus, which is technically the same word in English as well as Hawaiian, are traditional and authentic parties that actually showcase the islands' culture in a respectful way. They're different from a Sunday barbecue or a high school kegger. Usually people organize luaus on special occasions ― graduations, birthdays, holidays, ectra. It just so happened that the one Derek had invited her to was a pre-independence day one, which sounds odd in its own right. It's rare that hospital staff get the Fourth of July off or any holiday off (considering the high amount of accidents on those particular days), so in the minds of nurses, doctors, and other workers, a pre-independence day party made sense. 

     Since luaus were once in a blue moon and Alana barely had any time to go, her selection of Aloha dresses were heavily limited. The last gown she had worn at a luau, which was on New Year's Eve, was covered in various champagne and red wine stains. Anyone who drinks understands the struggle of trying to rinse away alcohol marks from clothing fabrics. Thankfully, she had discovered another Aloha dress that was hidden in the dust ridden corner of her closet, hanging off of a flimsy hanger. 

     Truthfully, it took a bunch of convincing from Donna to actually attend the party. With everything going on, including the vision of a police officer, the dream of a bloody Icelandic woman, and the meeting of a strange tourist named Jonas, going to a luau wasn't one of her biggest priorities. Her ideal night would have been to stay at home with the comforting company of her daughter and continuing popping Advil pills into her mouth as a further attempt to ease her migraine. But according to her best friend, having "trippy psychic visions" is no excuse to refuse a party invite or to miss out on spending a whole evening with Dr. Chapman. 

     Even though she was showing much resistance and practically being coerced into leaving her home, Alana was still trying to slip into a much more happier mood. A single mom would jump at the chance to have a night off and spend a couple of hours having fun with some friends, but problems the size of bricks were being layered on top of her shoulders and weighing painfully down on her. How could she enjoy a party when such strange events and feelings were making her question everything? A simple laua seemed ridiculous really when it felt like there was something bigger, more important approaching her. 

     "Lonnie? Everything alright? Need me to finish the makeup?"

     The brunette shut her eyes at the sound of Donna's voice ringing through-out the tiny house and pulling her back from her tornado of thoughts. She widened the already ajar bathroom door and peaked her head out, "I'm fine, D. Give me one more minute."

     Without waiting for another response, Alana closed the door firmly behind her and focused her weary attention back at the task at hand. She reached for the thin tube of peach shaded lip-gloss and applied some to her pair of lips, before stepping back away from the mirror hanging above the sink, taking a better look at herself. The halter dress reached down to her ankles with the color being a navy blue and the prints of fully-blossomed flowers dawning a pure white. Her eyes still carried the black coating of eyeliner and her hair was in a half up-do French twist. Alana always thought that she was pretty, never really possessing any insecurities when it came to looks, but she most certainly liked the way all of her features stood-out a bit more confidently. 

     Stashing her makeup back into the cabinet behind the mirror, she slipped into her pair of black flats and made her way into the living room. Donna, who wore a black a-line dress with green leaves scattered over the top and skirt, was braiding Malia's hair as a way to pass the time along. She had just finished when Alana walked into the room, her daughter's attention immediately surging to her mother's presence.