The Reaping

"Let's go," I suggest, stuffing the plump goose and squirrel into my leather bag. In the early morning, there are always many animals around to catch. According to my watch, it's almost eight. "See you in the Square."

Leanna nods. "You too."

I leave and head straight for my house. Jack arrives just as I am putting the squirrel and goose into a pot filled with water. I make a small fire outside the house and places the pot on it.

Jack leans down and hands me a handful of herbs he has gathered from the forests. I smile at the scent of the herbs. From pine trees.

I add the herbs to the pot. "I'm never a cooking expert," I admit without the least bit of shame, and enter the house. I retrieve a small loaf of bread that fits into my hands easily, and slices it. My father returns soon afterwards and we eat the entire small loaf.

"You ought to put some salt into the...uh...stew," my father says, pulling a tiny packet out of his pocket. I hold the packet between my fingers and drop a pinch of the salt inside into the pot. Then I take a wooden spoon to stir the mixture.

"Let's go to the Square," Jack says after a few hours. I extinguish the small fire and carry the pot inside. Closing the door, we head for the square at twelve thirty, take a thirty-minute walk there, and assemble in the square.

I spot Leanna in the crowd, two people away from me. She is wearing a forest green dress with leaf-like texture, and matching green fabric shoes.  I look down at my own brown dress with frayed edges. For once, I have brushed my spiky brown hair, making it look more spiked. I am also wearing leather shoes that are rather comfortable.

A complete freak of a woman catwalks up onto the stage. After the mayor introduces everyone - the woman, her name's Aqua; our two surviving victors (there are four in all but two are already dead) - Aqua bounces around on stage before dunking her hand into the girls' Reaping ball.

"Our girl tribute is...Johanna Mason!" shrieks Aqua freakishly. My life practically flashes before my eyes. But I have to play cool. 

My eyes set in front of me, a threatening stare fixed on my face, I clench my fists and walk up to the stage, cursing under my breath. I walk past many people from school, who stare at me in shock.

I get onto the stage, and Aqua asks for any volunteers. Leanna looks as though she is about to raise her hand, but I shoot her a 'no, don't' stare, and she bites her lip, her hand dropping down beside her.

"No? Alright! Let's choose our male tribute!" Aqua snatches a slip from the boys' glass ball. "Jackal Mason!"

I nearly gasp out loud, as I see Jack's stiff body stumbling up to stage. I nearly sink to the floor in despair. How will our father feel? Both his children going to die in weeks?

"Any volunteers?"

A boy raises his hand nervously. I squint towards his approaching figure. He is a seventeen-year-old, two years older than me. I know him from school, but can't remember his name well.

"What's your name?"

"Rowan Bills."

"Good!" squeaks Aqua, apparently pleased at what she sees - a tall, strong boy standing steadily instead of a small boy. Who happens to go by the name of Mason.

"Jackal Mason," says Aqua, "do you deny Rowan Bills's volunteer to take your place?"

I shoot Jack a stern look. He shakes his head no and leaves the stage.

After the mayor reads the Treaty of Treason which I never listens to, we are herded into the Justice Building for final goodbyes. The first ones are my father and Jack.

"Listen, Johanna," says my father. "You have to find an axe at least. Go for water, food, shelter and an axe. You don't have to attack, but you must have self-defense, even a weak one. And I must say, the axe is your best weapon. Avoid the other tributes and remain small and hidden. Don't ever draw attention. Find what you need to survive and live through it. Let the other tributes fight it out. Don't show your talent."

"Alright," I say emotionlessly. "And you two take care too. Eat the things in the pot for dinner. Leanna will definitely bring you some food to eat, without me. You should help her out too. Ignore everything on the screen. It doesn't matter if...whatever happens. Just ignore it! Got me?"

"You take care too," sobs Jack. "You're in a far more dangerous position than any of us. You must win."

"Course I will," I snort, wiping away his tears. "Don't cry."

An idiot of a peacekeeper orders them out. They start to leave. "See you soon," I say, then throw the peacekeeper a look. He turns away. The next person enters.

Leanna. She places something in my hand. "Wear this into the arena, will you?"

It is a necklace I think, with tiny balls of wood decorated with pine needles strung up with a firm thick string that Leanna has obviously laced and knitted. I'm not interested in those things, but this is something to remind me of home.

"Thank you."

"And listen, get an axe in the arena. You're perfect with it. If you have one, I know you will win. Get it? Oh, and I will get food to your family."

"Of course I will. Not a doubt. And thanks."

Smiling, she gives me a kiss on the forehead and leaves. Slightly disgusted, I frown.

There is no one else. I am led away by a peacekeeper into a carriage. I practically doze off in the carriage as Aqua starts bubbling on about things that I don't see will help someone going to the Games at all. Rowan shakes me awake when we are at the train station.