FOUR

● ● ● ● ●

FOUR; CLUELESS

"NOBODY'S SEEN HIM in two weeks, H. Everyone's getting really worried."

Hyacinth lit up another candle on the coffee table, shrugging at her mother's statement. "What do you want me to do? I've called his phone a dozen times and he still refuses to pick up."

"Did something happen between you and Sam? Is that why he's acting like this?" Her mother inquired, one eyebrow raised as she tapped her foot impatiently.

Hyacinth dismissed her question. "I'm going to pick up some groceries. Do you want anything?"

The woman stopped her daughter before she could escape through the front door. Her tone softened. "Hyacinth, I know you hate when I push you, but you can't just pretend that Sam isn't a big part of your life."

"He was, mom. He was when I was a twelve year old girl who didn't know any better. I'm a different person now, and if anyone should know that, it would be you."

She opened the front door and left, faintly hearing her mother's soft sigh. Hyacinth opted to walk instead of taking the car, wanting to clear her head. From left to right, people had been constantly questioning her about Sam's whereabouts. She didn't understand why they assumed she was supposed to know.

All she remembered from the night he disappeared was that Sam was evidently drunk, and she called his mom to come and get him. When she came back, he was gone.

She tried to forget all of the harsh words she spoke to him, but she knew it was probably all Sam could think about, wherever he was. Once Hyacinth approached the grocery store, she noticed the bare back of someone familiar.

A man with nice shoulders and a Quileute tattoo on his upper bicep. She paused, wondering what the hell he was doing.

"Sam?"

His whole body tensed. He was wearing nothing but a pair of cutoff shorts, and as he turned to face her, his expression was less than friendly.

"Hello, Hyacinth."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What are you doing? You know people have been looking for you, right?"

He shrugged. "It doesn't really matter, now does it? It doesn't matter unless you're the one who's worried and looking for me."

She sighed. She entered the store and Sam followed after her. "You should get back home, Sam. I'm positive your mother is still worried."

"I'm a grown man," he huffed. "Start treating me like one. You act as if I don't understand how much I've hurt others. I know exactly what I've done, okay, H? And yeah, I keep doing it for a fucking awful goddamn reason. But it's my responsibility and-"

"Exactly!" Hyacinth exclaimed, hand losing grip on the shopping cart as she spun around to face him. She stabbed her finger into his chest, ignoring the way it felt like hard rock. "It's your responsibility! Sam, Leah's hurting like hell because of you and you can't even tell her why you broke up with her. You can't tell your mom why you disappear for no reason at all. I know you wonder why I'm a changed person, but have you ever looked at yourself, Sam? You may have stayed in La Push with the same people and the same house, but you have just as many secrets as I do."