Prologue

Alaska sat in the middle section of the large classroom listening intently to her college professor speak about Albert Einstein. Alaska put her head down on her table feeling the world spin. This has been going on for a couple days now that and her feeling sick to her stomach. 'Maybe I should stop by my doctor after class.' She thought to herself.

"Alright class that's all today. Don't forget to turn in your essays by 12 tonight! You are dismissed." Alaska heard her professor shout to the class. Alaska got up heading straight to her small black car. She drove to her regular doctor's office signing in on the clipboard. About 20 minutes later she heard the nurse call her name. She followed the nurse back to a room, while the nurse asked her questions about why she was there today. The doctor walked in shortly after the nurse left. She asked Alaska what was going on.

"I have been feeling extremely ill lately and I keep getting sick over and over again." Alaska replied.

"When did these symptoms start to happen?" The doctor asked her. Alaska answered saying they have been happening for about a week. The doctor suggested she take a pregnancy test just to make sure. As soon as the words left the doctors name Alaska's mind went straight to the night she and fellow classmate Hayden had shared after a party. They were both really drunk and she barely remembered a thing but she did know that if she was pregnant it would be Hayden's baby. The doctor came back with the results of the pregnancy test and told Alaska that she was indeed 3 weeks pregnant. Alaska felt tears of fear pool and her eyes. She gathered her things and headed back to her small apartment close to campus. She sat in her couch wondering what she was going to do. She could barely take care of herself, how was she going to take care of a child. 'Should I even tell Hayden about this?' she thought briefly. She shook her head thinking,

'What am I thinking of course I'm gonna tell him, he has a right to know it is his child after all.' Alaska got up dried her tears and headed back out to Hayden's apartment. She knew where he lived because she had been there that night and has also studied with him a couple times before that. Hayden wasn't a friend but he wasn't a stranger either, more like something in between. When she got to his apartment she sat out in the parking lot contemplating if she could do this. Eventually she worked up enough courage to get out and knock on his door. Hayden lived close to Alaska in the more expensive apartments. Hayden opened the door surprised to see Alaska standing there, but his expression changed almost immediately after he saw how distraught she looked.

"Ally come in, what's wrong?" He asked concerned for the girl. He had always liked Alaska but was too afraid to do anything about it. Alaska looked at him and started crying.

"Look I know this is unexpected and I don't know any other way to say this but I'm pregnant and it's your child." Alaska said looking down, while her tears flowed freely down her cheeks. It was silent for a few minutes, the anticipation eating away at Alaska when suddenly Hayden lifted Alaska's chin up looking her in the eyes he leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"I don't know what to say other then we will get through this and we will raise this child together. I'm not gonna let you do this by yourself. You have me and I have you." Hayden said softly to Alaska. Alaska looked at him seeing nothing but the truth in his eyes. She hugged him as tight as she could.  She knew that this was the man she wanted to spend her life with in that moment. 'We'll get through this.' She repeated over and over again in her mind
-----------------------------------------------------------
8 months later
"C'mon Alaska push!" The doctor told Alaska. Alaska screamed in agony squeezing her boyfriend Hayden's hand tighter while she gave birth to their baby.

"It's a girl!" The doctor said while all that could be heard in that moment was a beautiful cry of Hayden and Alaska's baby. The name they picked our for a girl was Rowan Kara. A mix between both Hayden and Alaska's moms names.

"My little girl." Alaska said crying tears of joy as the nurse handed Rowan to Alaska. Alaska looked up at Hayden seeing tears in his eyes and nothing but love for the both of them.

"She's beautiful." Hayden said softly not wanting to scare the now sleeping child. After a few days in the hospital Hayden and Alaska got to take their baby girl back to their shared home.
-----------------------------------------------------------
4 1/2 years later
"Rowan come say hi to daddy before his lunch break is over!" Alaska shouted to her daughter so that she could hear her. Rowan ran from her room to where Alaska was and snatched the phone away so she could talk to her dad.

"Hi daddy!! I miss you!" Rowan screamed happily to her dad over the phone.

"When will you be back home daddy?" asked Rowan.

Hayden replied with, "I get off work at 9 pm so you'll be asleep but don't worry I'll be there when you wake up baby." Rowan sighed dramatically but then happily told her dad about how in preschool she drew a pretty picture for him. It was 4pm then, now it's 11pm.

'Hayden said he gets off at 9, so he should've been home by 9:45 because the hospital isn't too far from our home.' Alaska thought to herself. Suddenly there is a knock at Alaska's door. When she opens the door she is shocked to see a LAPD officer standing there.
"Are you Mrs. Peters?" the police asked her. She responded with a nervous yes.

"Mrs. Peters I'm sorry to inform you that your husband Hayden Peters has been murdered. Do you mind coming down to the homicide office so that we can ask you a few questions?" the officer replied cautiously. Alaska couldn't believe what she was hearing. As soon as she processed what was said, she dropped to her knees screaming out with agony. How could this happen to her? Her soulmate, her one true love was murdered. This is surely not how things are supposed to happen.