The Beautiful Melody

I stare at the ground, watching the insects make their way through the hard, cracked dirt. Someone walks up behind me and speaks,

"What are you doing?"

I look up to see my friend Kate smiling down at me. 

"Just watching."

I replied trying to send her a mental message that I don't want to talk. She obviously understood since she just sat down beside me. I looked up to see the huge waterfall of crystal clear water squirting up only to fall right back down. My eyes look even further to watch the forest of trees sway in the wind. Finally, she's had enough silence and speaks yet again.

"Okay, it's official. I'm bored."

I look at her and laugh because I knew she wouldn't be able to stand the silence. 

"Okay. What do you want?" 

I say still chuckling under my breath.

"I just don't see how you sit here doing nothing and starting off looking at God knows what."

She said making me laugh even more.

"The sounds."

I say expecting her to kow what I mean. But, of course, she doesn't.

"What?" 

She asks, staring me in the eyes.

"It's the sounds. The wind, birds, the crickets, bugs. The water smacking against the water, the trees rustling in the wind. All the sounds. Mixed in together, they create a beautiful melody."

I say closing my eyes. Seeing me do this, Kate mimics my every move. I open my eyes to watch the birds fly around in the light blue sky. Clouds are scattered here and there. I stand up indicating for Kate to follow and I walk down the fifteen steps towards the lake. I sit in one of the seventeen chairs and relax. Kate does the same.

"I guess when you're quiet it can be calming."

She says.

"Yeah, when you're quiet."

I reply and she must have gotten the hint of me telling her to be quiet as she rolls her eyes and smiles at me. I smile back and close my eyes once again. We sit here for a few hours when someone suddenly calls out,

"Come on guys! It's time to go back inside!"

We follow the rest of the class back into the college that we are attending for the week. I can only think about how I can't wait for another opportunity to hear the area's beautiful melody.