Monochrome

As with everyone, my world was black and white. I hadn't met anyone bright enough to bring colour into my life, so I spent all of my time in my work room, writing music and creating works of art made of sound, to try and bring some colour into others lives, by way of song.

It was on one particularly cold autumn morning that my co-producer entered the room late, looking slightly hung over, and suggested we do something that would change my world forever.

"Hyung, I'm tired," He moaned, flopping into the seat next to me and spinning it around, his head hanging over the back of the headrest, "Can we take the morning off?"

"I told you not to go drinking with Jin Hyung," I snorted, "You can't keep up with him. Noone can keep up with him,"

"I tried," Namjoon replied, massaging his temples with long fingers, "But he can handle alcohol so much better than me,"

"Fine," I grumbled, deciding that a cup of coffee might actually do us both some good. I got to my feet and he lifted his head, grinning at me.

"Great! Let's go,"

I threw my rucksack over my shoulder, hoping that he'd pick a coffee shop with WiFi so I could do a little more work when we were there. I ignored him rolling his eyes and followed him out of the studio and onto the grey streets.

A lot of people I have known in my life were fighting to see in colour. They would go out every night, meet new people and sleep with anyone who was willing, just for their chance to find love. I have never felt the need; my parents always told me that I would find my soulmate when the time was right. I briefly saw in colour once, during my high school years, but it faded away back to monochrome fairly quickly. She clearly wasn't the one for me.

I had suffered; it was obvious that I had been through a hell of a lot in my life, and a little colour would be nice. The brightness around me and the support of someone who loved me would be sure to bring me up, but it obviously wasn't the right time. Maybe I had already met the girl or guy, but wasn't open enough to let them in?

We learnt about colours in school; what shades of grey and white were what colour, and if you were lucky enough to see in colour at all during your school life, they would take you to a separate classroom to teach you then what colour was what. I remember Jimin and Taehyung both telling me that seeing in colour was such a wonderful thing. They said it wasn't just because of the world being a much more beautiful place, but because at the end of the day when they went home, they had someone with open arms waiting for them, and that was the best reward anyone could ever ask for.

But I shrugged it off. I didn't need colour right now. I needed to focus on my work; to bring joy to other colourless people around the world.

"How about here?" Namjoon smiled slyly at me, and I looked up, realising that I'd been lost in my own thoughts the entire walk.

I narrowed my eyes at him as I realised where we were, and finally smiled, shaking my head, "I'm guessing she's working today?"

Namjoons cheeks flushed slightly as he nodded, "She still won't give me her number, but I swear, I can see some colour when I'm around her... I can see how her cheeks turn a little pink, and I'm sure she feels the same, otherwise she wouldn't blush, right?"

"Sure," I sighed, letting myself smile again. He was a hopeless romantic, and I knew that all the beautiful, musical lines he had been practicing in his head to say to her would get mixed up and jumbled the moment she asked for his order. It always turned out that way.