Six

Scott had offered to pay for the four of them to fly to California, while he drove the moving truck with all of their bags in it. But of course nobody thought that was a good idea except Scott. 

Avi had made the final declaration, that they'd all be driving to LA, considering they were gonna need a few cars once they'd arrived.

The final verdict being that Scott and Mitch would be in the moving truck, Alex and Kirstie in one car, and Avi driving a third car.

It just occurred to me that some important information was skipped, so let me just make this simple;

Scott's broken arm was not fully healed, although he still wanted to drive so Mitch could sleep for most of the trip.

Scott's mom was aware that he was moving to LA, less than twenty minutes from her.

Kirstie's concussion was mostly healed, but just in case of emergency, Alex was going to drive the full trip. 

Scott sold his least favorite few cars to make some more money to bring with them, and then left the house for Rick to keep. 

Mitch's parents struggled to see him go, but promised to visit as often as they could while also making Mitch promise to call them at least once a day.

Avi's mom was heartbroken to see him go, but is currently considering moving to California to be closer because Avi's her whole world now that her husband is gone.

And finally, Kevin is off to a big fancy college, but also promises to meet up with his friends as often as he can. 

Another disclaimer that should be mentioned, is that Alex suggested stopping in New Mexico for the night because the 20 hour drive from Arlington to LA is a little too much to fathom. Whereas a drive to New Mexico is a mere nine hours.

Mitch checked all of this on his phone, and then nodded. "Okay, yeah... We could stay a night in New Mexico and then maybe take another stop in like... Phoenix, Arizona? That's another eight hour drive."

Avi peeked over his shoulder. "Okay, so... Nine hours, eight hours... Then how long is it to LA?"

Mitch paused to type it in, and then smiled. "Only five and a half!"

Scott groaned loudly. "Guys, this is gonna be a lot... Are you sure you don't just wanna fly?"

Avi glared at him. "And leave you to drive 20 hours by yourself? I don't think so."

Alex tried to grin at him. "Yeah, it's gonna be fun! We'll get to stay in two different hotels, and like... Explore and stuff."

Kirstie giggled a little. "Yeah, Scott. Road trip."

Scott just shook his head. "Whatever you say. When should we leave tomorrow..?"

Mitch spoke first. "I think we should all spend a final night with our parents, and then... I'll do a coffee run, and meet you guys at Scott's house at like... Six?"

Scott just pouted. "This is gonna be so awful..."

*

The next morning, when Mitch showed up with the coffee, everyone was beyond ready to go. Mostly nervous energy, but also a little bit of excitement. 

Avi'd decided that he'd drive the moving truck, while Alex drove one of Scott's larger cars, and Scott drove one of the sports cars. Looking back on it, Avi regrets this decision, knowing Scott was going to speed more than necessary. 

Kirstie had wanted to be helpful, feeling bad that she couldn't drive, so she called. "I think Alex and I should be first, so I can do the navigation thing on my phone and lead y'all to wherever... We said that New Mexico is the first stop, right?"