Chapter Fourteen

The houses, or rather what was left of them, loomed in front of me like black skeletons, throwing an echo of the horror that took place here in my face.

All I wanted to do was leave, leave and never come back.

But no; somebody just had to have their horse back!

What was with this horse anyway?

What was so important about an animal that he had to risk both our lives just to see if it was even still alive?

Maybe I was just being insensitive…

And maybe he was too.

To be fair, he had told me to leave.

But, to be slightly unfair, he must know by now that I am not one to leave someone behind.

My back was pressed up against the charred remains of a wall, watching the filthy men.

I was as safe as I would get, tucked away in the shadows only about ten feet from the raiders’ campfire.

I couldn’t see the suicidal horse-lover, but I didn’t need to.

All I needed to do is sit still and hope I don’t have to interfere.

It was a very weak hope – he was as helpless as a babe.

How many times had I saved him now?

A loud, drunken laugh distracted me from my angry thoughts.

The raiders, or at least the four I knew were still here, were sitting around a campfire and drinking our Christmas wine supply.

Every now and then one would relate a story that made his friends laugh.

The horse was tied, rather sloppily, to a tree trunk on the edge of the clearing, only about twenty feet from their fire.

He would never be able to get it unnoticed, at least not yet.

If he waited until they fell asleep, then just maybe he would have a chance.

If they had a guard, he would likely be too drunk to stay awake.

But there was just no telling what the idiot would do next.

“There’s jus’ no betta’ feelin’ than slitting sumbody’s throat,” slurred one of the drunken men, making his friends laugh.

I hadn’t been listening before, but they had my undivided attention now.

“Heh. Naw, that ain’t it. Personly, I ‘ate it when tha blood starts a flowin’. Makes me sick, don’t cha know it.”

“Eh, ya pussy. Wat do ya expect us ta do, eh? Hand it ever witout a fight? Yer a nitwit, that ones fer sure.”

“Hey! I’d be mad ifn’ I thought it were you speakin’, but seein’ as ‘ow you ‘ave been bitchy all day, I’ll make an exception.”

“Wot did you say?”

“You ‘eard me. You’re forgiven for your bitchy-ness.”

“Guys, settle down. We don’t need to have any animosity within the ranks.”

The blood drained out of my face when I heard this voice.

It couldn’t be…

“Anyone bother to find the survivors?”

“Aw, boss, we can’t. They’re too freakin’ fast.”

Their boss…?

No!