Chapter 14: First Date?

Another week went by and then the weekend came and I ended up drinking too much (again). This time Jane hid Caleb's phone and wouldn't let me go back to Gandhi by myself. Lizzie was my chaperone when I left. I planned on going back to the dorm to have a good cry, or at least curl up with a bag of honey-mustard pretzels and a cable movie.

As soon as we walked outside, someone called, "Hey, does one of you guys have a smoke?" A group of guys were sitting on the picnic tables outside of Prasch.

"I do," Lizzie said, digging through her purse. She grabbed my arm and pulled me over to them. There were three guys: a red-headed muscular one I'd seen around the dorm adjacent to Prasch, a skinny blonde, and a taller, dark-haired guy.

The tall one's face was covered with faint acne scars, but he had a strong jawline and sensual lips. "What's your name?" he asked me.

"Tammy. And this is Lizzie."

All three dutifully shook our hands. The names of the other ones went out of my head as soon as they said them, but I caught the tall guy's name: Morgan.

"So what's up?" Morgan asked.

"Nothing."

"Tammy's having boy problems," Lizzie announced.

"A boyfriend?" Morgan asked, his eyebrows raised.

I looked down and shook my head. I could have sworn I heard him mutter, "good," under his breath.

We exchanged small talk with them for a few minutes. Morgan mentioned he was a Kennedy boy, meaning he lived in the only all-male dorm on campus, a fact I duly added to the newly formed "Morgan" filing box in my brain. Finally Lizzie nudged me, and we bid the guys a good-night. I changed into my pajamas and about to have a moment with Mark Hamill and his artificial member when someone knocked at my door. Despite myself, my first thought was that it was Dallas.

"Hello?" I asked cautiously.

"Tammy?" A male's voice. Mark Hamill, come to life?

I threw on the Abercrombie sweatshirt over my PJ's and swung open the door. "Oh, hi, Morgan."

"Hey, listen... I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me next weekend."

"You mean, like on a date?"

An easy grin appeared. "Yeah. Something like that."

"Sure, that'd be great."

"Friday?"

I nodded.

"Okay, well, I'll see you then. And have a good night."

"You too."

I shut the door, but after counting to ten, I opened it again and glanced down the hall. Lizzie was standing outside her room. "Did I really hear what I thought I heard?"

"If you heard a cute guy asking me out on a date, than you did."

Lizzie squealed and then gave me a hug. "Come on, let's go smoke!"

"What if he's outside still?"

She gave me a funny look.

"Come on," I told her dragging her down the hall. "We'll go out the side door."

My hands were still shaking from excitement as I lit my cigarette. I was just about to ask Lizzie what I should wear when we heard someone shouting. Lizzie leaned over to peer behind me. "Oh great," she mumbled under her breath.

I turned around, expecting to see Dallas, but the hair was too blonde and the frame too wide to be him.

"What's up guys?" LaVerne slurred when she got closer.