Part 3

Ardrianna sat up straight in her chair, forced her leg to stop bouncing, and took a deep breath. 'I don't need a chip to have the knowledge you want me to have, and I think I am a better candidate without one.' One of the man's eye brows rose. The other man remained in his unmoving state, still watching her. Ardrianna briefly wondered what enabled him to stay so stoic, before continuing. 'A chip only lets the person know information. They are able to call up statistics, facts, formulae, and the answers to questions they shouldn't be able to answer. The chip has meant that we don't do the tests that were the way people assessed a person's knowledge.' At this point Eyebrows interrupted. 

'I know all this, and so far it doesn't make you a better candidate.' Ardruanna gave him a fierce glare, cleared her throat, and continued. 

'The problem is, we don't understand it. Not like we used to have to.' Eyebrows, as Ardruanna had now named him, remained quiet this time. 'Just because you can answer some factual information, pull up formulas in a second, and answer the mathematical questions with a chip, doesn't mean you understand what it means. What use is information when you don't have the knowledge, the understanding of it? Most of your candidates are coming in here, having taken the fast track. you now have to teach them to interpret and understand what it all means. I've already spent years learning things the longer way. I know what it means, I know how to apply data and information, I have the knowledge of this field, not just the information. Not only that, I know our history, past sciences that failed, past methods that didn't work. All my thinking will be directed toward new material, because I know about the past mistakes. The chips don't include that data.' Ardrianna paused for a second, gathering herself. 

'I understand that I don't look like I belong here. But that's just about fitting in with the people. TIES is about the brain, about being able to make the connections between information and life, its about applying knowledge. I'm hoping you will look past my class background, and acknowledge my intellect. I want to be here, I'm ready to learn more. All I need is an opportunity.' Ardruanna then stopped, looked at both the assessors, and patiently waited for their response. 

**********************************

Hansel was still waiting outside, leaning against the building, when Ardruanna came flying out of the doors and latched onto him. She hugged him tightly, and then let go, laughing and spinning around in the street, her eyes shining and pure joy radiating from her form. He joined her laughter, and then yelled, 'I knew you would get in!' 

Ardruanna stopped, smiled at him, then looked up and thought, "finally. Finally I can start making a change."