Chapter 3

My week finally died down. It ended with 8 more cases of mysterious meningitis. Two more died from allergic reactions that ended with cardiac arrest. I still did not have the autopsy from Kenneth .On Friday, I was able to leave by 6:00pm. Thank the Moon Goddess that I worked a 7 day on 7day off shift. Therefore I have a whole week to get my house perfect and also maybe get caught up on Netflix shows.

Naturally as I was thinking about wether I was going to finish New Girl or Pretty Little Liars, when Luna texted me.

L: Dinner is at 7:30 please come. 😉

I sent back a quick okay and headed down the o' so peaceful path to my house. When I got home I went straight to the bathroom. I turned the shower to the hottest setting, turned on some music, stripped, and got in.

The relaxing feeling of the hot and steamy water mixed with the melody's of Bruno Mars' "It will rain" eased the aches of my mind and body and for a few minutes I completely forgot about the outside world. I forgot about the patients and the anger rising in some of the pack members.

When the song ended I washed of the suds from my body and dried off. I put on a plain black dress, which I soon realized had pockets, I redid my mascara, and brushed my brownish black hair.

I slipped on some comfortable heels and walked a paved path to the middle of pack territory. I rang the doorbell when I reached the Alpha house.

"Aubrey how good to see you again"

"Likewise Alpha Mike"

"Oh please just call me Mike, my alpha days will be over soon" alpha mike said with a wink.

Alpha Mike is pretty much a figure head Alpha. James is the one who signs the treaties and goes to the Alpha meetings, but per our packs traditions the next alpha can not take over officially till they find their mate or the predecessor dies.

I walked in to the lovely Alpha house. It wasn't a mansion it was a simple 5 bedroom 2 story home with an open layout. The only thing that stopped the flow was the door that lead to the kitchen. Alpha lead me to the couch were I gladly took my seat.

"May I offer you a drink" Alpha Mike asked me.

"Water is fine" I responded.

"Mother I look fine. It's just Aubrey. You even said she's practically like family." I chuckled as Alpha Mike handed me my water while rolling his eyes.

Isabella came bounding down the stairs and stopped at the bottom and gave a low courtesy.

I nodded my head in acknowledgement with smile as Luna rushed into the kitchen to check on dinner.

Isabella pursed her lips in a way that suggested she was trying to ask a question but did not know how to form it.

"Dinner is ready" Luna called.

She brought out all the food and put it on the dining room table. It smelled delicious. She had cooked a cheesy lasagna with homemade pasta sauce, a salad and bread better than Olive Garden.

"Momma," Isabella said" whose seat is that."

Before Luna could answer there was a knock at the door. When Luna opened the door I was hit with the most intoxicating smell. With every inhale I felt myself melting into the scent.

"Hello momma" a deep soothing voice says.

I couldn't turn around. I didn't want to turn around. I wouldn't make it through dinner if I looked into his eyes. The eyes I knew to be the perfect amount of green and brown with a hint of gold. My wolf was going insane.

"Hello beautiful" the voice said. I knew he was talking to me but I tried to ignore him. Isabella oblivious of the situation jumps up and hugs James.

"Bubba" she yelled.
"I missed you "he said. I thought it would be smart to turn around. I was so so wrong. He was talking to Bella but his eyes never left me. After what felt like hours of staring he sets her down in her seat. The open seat is to the left of me. The shorter route would have been to go around his father. Instead he went around his mother and touched me till he sat down. His touch had sent shivers through me. When he set down he grabbed my left hand. He leaned into my ear whisper so that only I could hear.
"I'm so so sorry"

It sent shivers down to my toes. Luna immediately gets up and heads to the kitchen.

"Welp, save some food for your mother kids. She won't be back anytime soon."

From the kitchen we hear her say," yes Cheryl, they are MATES!"

I put my head in my hand.
"Oh no mom is going to be mad I didn't tell her first" I thought out loud.
The table let out a collective chuckle.

By the end of dinner there was a light drizzle. Luna had been on the phone for all of dinner and did not return until Mike had started to clear the dishes. James had not let go of my hand.

I looked at the time and it was around 9:30.

"It's getting late," I say to noone in particular, " I should probably head out"

" I walk you to your house just let me go grab a jacket " James says as he rushes out the room leaving me and Bella by ourselves.

"So..., "I start awkwardly " how are your two friends doing umm... Kylie and-"

"Melissa"Bella says plainly. "They are fine. How did you cure them?"

"With medical intuition" I said with smile hoping it would pass as a truthful explanation.

"No you didn't. I saw you unplug the heart thingy- "

"The defibrillator, " I interject.

"Yeah you unplugged the pad things from the electric thing but it still worked. How"

Before I could answer James walked back into the room. " What are you two talking about?" he asks.

Bella just looked at the ground and fidgeted with her hands. " I going to get ready for bed" and with that she disappeared into one of the bed rooms.

"Well that was odd" James said as he ushered me out of the house.