HER GREAT-GREAT-GRANDDAUGHTER

Oh, it's you again. What do you want?

Ahuh. You're not the first one. Everyone really wants to know what happened, right? But why? What for? It's like a lifetime ago! Why can't we all just stop talking about it and move on?

Hhhmmmm. You're extremely persistent, I must say.

Okay, stop. I'm convinced. I must admit I'm running out of time. If I don't do this now, I may never get the chance to reveal the truth. If I don't tell you now, no one will ever know what happened that day.

Hhhhmmmp. Okay, come in. Take your seat and stop talking. I want you to listen carefully. You have to be smart to understand. You have to... Hey, stop! Didn't I just tell you to stop talking?

Okay, good. Let's begin.

My name is Monica and I am Dawn Zulueta's great-great-granddaughter. I never met her; my mom didn't either. But I know plenty about her. In fact, I know her more than you do! I know way more than you'll ever know!

It's been how many years since she disappeared? I mean, since they disappeared? To be honest, I have stopped counting. Besides, it doesn't matter for how long now, because what you really want to know is why or how.

My grandmother was barely a grown-up when it happened. In spite of that, everything was so vivid that she could have told you about it even during a dream at 3am or so. My mom meanwhile, born years after the mysterious event, possessed a gift until she turned 25. It allowed her to communicate with my great-great-grandma through her dreams. When she gave birth to me though, she lost the gift upon passing it on to me.

Yes, now you see this big belly of mine which only means I will have my own daughter soon. Ha-ha! Nothing to worry about, you say? Ha-ha! Let me tell you. This gene or gift that my mother and I shared won't last for more than two generations. In other words, I am the last descendant capable of communicating with Mama (that's what each generation calls her) Dawn through my dreams. I will lose the gift as soon as I give birth to my own child. I, just like my mom, will soon forget everything contained in my dreams. So if I don't tell you now, the world may never know what happened on the 4th of March 2039.

But it's a long story, you little one. Why don't you just come back tomorrow so that I can share the story in detail?

Yes, I promise. I will be here. The door is on your left. Goodbye.

. . . . .

Hey! Don't be too worried. Mama Dawn is where she's supposed to be. She's perfectly happy...in the arms of her one great love.

Ha-ha. You're good! Yes, his name is Richard Gomez.